Help me organize my hydro grow?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Jimmy Carter, Nov 11, 2011.

1. So I have been growing my plant hydroponically for a few months. Water changes have been infrequent, Nutrients have been added infrequently as well. I need to develop a schedule or plan so I can stay on top of my nutrients and water changes. How do you guys do it? Do you have a notebook you keep all your 'to-do's' on? I'm just not sure the easiest way to keep this grow going steady.

Today I went for a nice hike and on the way back I hit up Orchard Supply because the store is closing and they got deals on everything. I picked up a GH pH Control Kit and a 1 quart bottle of FloraNova 'Grow' food.

I know my water pH is around 8 out of the tap. The container I'm growing in hold probably about 1/3gallon of water, I know its not a lot but I need something small until I have a dedicated grow-cab for it. Should I mix up some water in a large container so I can always have pH adjusted water for my water changes or should I do it fresh every time? also, I use water from my planted aquarium for this plant because I know its good for plants. should I keep doing that or use just tap?

Thanks to anyone who gets what I'm trying to ask :wave:

2. no plant water brother

3. uuuh

elaborate?

4. unless im confused...are you using water from an aquarium that has plant life in it?

5. yes I am. Why should I stop using it?

6. i could see the benifits in a soiless or soil grow...but im having a hard time wrapping my head around how this would work in a hydro system without clogging anything up...i was thinking of having extra plant matter that may decompose in your system which would be bad...but i could see the benifits of that matter becoming food for a plant in soil....

7. oh no no no you have the wrong idea. Theres no plant matter in the water I use for my plant. I just said its coming from a planted tank because I dose ferts to that tank for all the plants and its really healthy water. I would never put decaying plant matter in there cause I know how nasty shit can get.

8. AHHH my bad :D:p well im curious now to see how this will work! i can help you with lights and ventilation...but ill watch on the feed if you continue down this route!

9. So then do you think I should continue to use the tank water or use tap? also, if I mix these ferts in a 1gallon jug to have ready for my weekly water change, would it go bad? Ive had certain ferts do that before for my tanks.

10. i say go for the aquarium water...if i were storing the water...why not get a 5 gallon bucket or some sort to do this....put an air pump and bubbler together to keep that water agitated and oxygenated...keep it covered from light as to not introduce algae...:hello:

11. Yeah thats a good idea. I only say that cause I already have the 1gallon jug ready to go. the only 5g buckets I have are to use for my tanks so I'd have to go get one.

12. shit the buckets cheaper than the lids at lowes lol...2.50 for a 5 gallon bucket...3.00 bucks for the lid....6 bucks at walmart for a single line airpump and i think a buck for airstones....youll be good to go! oh tubing...1 buck wally world

13. I have plenty of tubing already so I wont be needing to buy any. How much is their 2line pumps? I'd like a bigger pump for my plants container and then use the one Im already using in the nutrient bucket.

14. This is the plant now
    [​IMG]

Its got white hairs developing and its smells DANK! does that mean its getting ready to flower? I have it on 18/6 so isnt that supposed to veg it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. dual air is like 11 bucks....looks like you got yourself a lil auto! congrads! its a girl! she will still veg and just throw pistils...no flowers till you flip her....good thing is you gotta certified female...cloning material for future girls :D

16. Oh I know! I cant wait to get some clones of this plant.

I got another question though. I just mixed up a gallon of nutes and did my water change (the roots hang down about 2ft!) but I forgot to adjust the pH! Could I still adjust the pH in the jug or do I have to do that before I put the nutes in the water?

17. i do after i put nutes in cause it changes when you put nutes in

18. Oh ok thanks! So then I should have no problem fixint the pH of the rest of that jug.

19. if your going to add it to system i would do it then easyer and you only have to do one time