Help me not get overweight before it happens!

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Cold Play, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Ok so essentially I was addicted to unmentionables and right now I am on this pill called Suboxone (prescribed from my doctor) to treat the dependency. Essentially its a synthetic opiate (not a real one) that acts like a force field around my opioid receptor so if i try to get high I can't. It also takes me out of withdraws and prevents cravings. I am staying on it for a year (maybe a bit more) so I can get my life together.

Anyways, my problem is a common response once on suboxone which is eating, constantly. It isn't the pill that does it but its like a habit that many people take up.

I am 6'3 and I weighed 145 pounds a week ago (when i started). I am now 152 pounds. My whole family says I am too skinny and it doesn't matter but gaining 7 pounds in a week is alot. I know right now the weight isn't too bad but I am really scared it will go overboard and I will soon become overweight.

I have no idea what to do. Currently I exercise on my treadmill 2 times a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon). This is because mentally in the long run exercise makes me feel a lot better. I always burn 260 - 270 calories every run. So I guess around 500 a day.

I am eating constantly, I will be full after dinner and just eat more. I can't stop myself and i am fearful I am going to become overweight. I was thinking of doing the following:

- For a whole week record daily calorie intake and then make an average.
    - Run on the treadmill longer so I burn all the excess calories off?
    - Plan out 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and only eat at those times and no "snacking" in-between?

The only exercise I am doing is running on a high incline. If any blades with experience in fitness could help me I would really really really be grateful!

2. Start lifting weights.

3. That's like me when im really really blitzed haahaha

4. 6'3"/152 is still really skinny. Use this as an opportunity to get bigger in a healthy way. Add weightlifting to your workout routine. Find a gym and get a good basic lifting routine. Do your morning cardio and lift before your afternoon run.

Eat more than three times a day in smaller portions if you want to try to prevent cravings. Snack on fruit, nuts, yogurt, etc. Get some protein powder for pre/post-workout meals.

5. 7 lbs. in a week is nothing to worry about. Your weight fluctuates about that much anyways based on water retention and intake alone.

If you keep it standardized, weighing yourself is useful for specific goals. I try to weigh myself first thing in the morning before breakfast, but after my first trip to the bathroom. I only weigh myself during this time, and even then I take whatever comes out with a grain of salt.

Drink a shit-ton more water. A lot of cravings can be cut this way. Make the snacks you eat healthier. Don't drink your calories.

6. Thank you everyone!!!! Extremely helpful! :)

7. x100

If you're going to eat at a caloric surplus, you should start lifting weights (and not just curls) to send those extra calories into muscle instead of fat. Might as well use that weight gain as a positive!

8. I do 1 ~275 calorie run every day but the weekends and I eat like shit (as in whatever I want whenever I feel like it). Ive been maintaining 160 for a good while now and I feel like Im in good shape. I dont think you have anything to worry about man.

9. start moving some iron, follow a good beginners program like starting strength.

Then when you eat try to keep it relatively healthy but still eat till your full, also drink a ton of water. Op you can use this opportunity to get bigger/stronger, because being 150lbs at 6'3 is too skinny.

10. #10 Cold Play, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    Wow. Really indepth help guys! All this is going to be super beneficial too me. I used to have a gym membership but it expired. I have my tredmill at home but it can be set to different exercise programs so maybe I will do one that influences muscle gain in the legs.

I bought a starter set of weights and realized how weak I really am. I am following Canada x 420's advice and trying to find a beginner program online.

I am really excited for this!

P.S - My dinner meals are usually really good quality and healthy (live with a chef). For things like breakfast and lunch I eat alot of carbes. I have taken on regular store-bought oatmeal for breakfast (with my own added brown sugar). For lunch Ill eat a bagel with cream cheese and another misc bagel. For dinner I have an abundance of different things.

Between these times I snack on alot of cookies, nutella things, and more munchie type food. I was thinking about switching my snacking to raspberries and kiwi's (I love those to no extent).

By the advice of Swerv - I am going to the grocery store now and buying fucktons of almonds, pistachios, kiwis, and misc berries! When I get these food cravings it isnt really about portion it is just "eating something". I am also drinking a ton more water.

I also have a huge bin of whey powder which I never used.

11. Following candax420s advice is a great idea, however you killed it with the end of your statement. Don't go online to find one, you'll end up doing a routine that won't get you maximum benefits. Do Mark Rippetoes starting strength program like canada said. You eat a lot and stick with that routine and it will be physically impossible for you to not gain a large amount of muscle (as long as you do the exercises correctly). Trust me on this one I wish I started this way. Also youre gonna have to join a gym to do it unless you have the equipment at your house which you prlly don't

12. haha also just wanted to add this, i started lifting weights 5 months ago and was 6'2 145 lbs. Now I'm 6'2 184 and still going. It will do wonders for you man both in health, appearance, and confidence. It will also give you the drive and discipline to stay off whatever you were on and eventually get off your new meds. Good luck with everything man

13. Damn I always think of that, y'know. I lift now, have been for a year, just about. But I don't really think I wanna keep it up as I get older, still run and cardio, and be active, but not really lift. Idk but I probably will keep it up..I feel guilty if I don't ,,,,haha