Help me make a decision

Discussion in 'General' started by pmurph, Feb 24, 2009.

1. #1 pmurph, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
    I am looking for a new vehicle so I can make my current car my project so it will stop breaking, and I can make it even cooler lol. I don't want to spend much, and I've found a great truck, but a couple of things are throwing me off.

It's a 99 Chevy Tahoe 4 dr. 4x4. I love the idea of having a fullsize. I'm in a Cavalier so long I want room! For some reason I have this real strong appeal to trucks right now. Anyway I'm a first time buyer, but I've got my finances figured out so I can buy this truck no problem. I just can't decide if I want to.

Here are some pros:
    I like the room for friends/stuff
    Trucks are fun
    Solid motor (good ole Chevy 350)
    Cheap parts, and I know Chevys well so I can work on it
    Pretty reliable (I'm a car guy so I have lower standards, but they are solid trucks)
    It's Black
    Barn doors in the rear

Cons:
    15mpg
    Chevy truck brakes/suspension (notoriously soft)
    Transmission has a weak point and rebuilds are expensive
    about 3 of 4 common problems that I'll need it on a lift to check out, meaning I'll be buying it with risk

Although if you think about it there is a certain risk associated with just about everything, huh? And a not about the gas mileage: I live in a small town and don't drive much anyway except for a few 4-hour drives a year. I think the poor efficiency of the truck is what I'm most on the fence about. It probably won't be that bad, but then again I'd like to take it on road trips but that will get expensive fast. I've checked it out and driven it. It sounds good and runs well. I checked a lot of things, but didn't take it on the highway. I know right away it will ened brakes and an alignment, but that isn't a big deal. Drums in the rear. 174,000 miels. $4200

So, Blades, what are your opinions?

2. It sounds good except for the transmission. I would neverbuy a car unless the tranny was 100% perfect. a blown tranny almost always seems to cost more than the car is worth.

Yet, i would rather drive that than a cavalier anyday.

And gas is expensive........bad gas milage sucks.....especially if you blaze and cruise a lot

3. The trans works and shifts normal. I noticed no problems with it. I was just talking generally. The tranny they used can fail under extreme use, and the guy has towed with it, but I don't think anything heavy. Anyway this one's tranny seems solid.

4. fuck the gas milege if you dont drive all that much that truck will go through just about anything and is probably a reliable chev!!!! a used tranny couldnt be all that much and aint that hard to replace, make some valuable mechanic friends!!!

5. 172k miles for $4000??

I'd pass based on that alone. Gas WILL get more expensive.

Unless you absolutely need a truck, get a 4 door accord or something. You can get a decent lower milage vehicle for $4000 easily.

6. I'm waiting to find out if it has a 480 or 460 trans. That may be a non-issue

7. $4000 Accords are going to be boring as hell. I have fun with cars and driving, so I can't really cruise around in an Accord. No offense to owners...they are great cars.