Help Me Identify This Bug

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Grade A, Aug 4, 2014.

1. So I was watering my plants and I noticed It almost looked like there were small tunnels at the bottom of one of the pots (where the water drains) then on the top of the dirt I found ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407104719.034391.jpg a couple small grey bugs with wings. I killed one in the picture I know it might not help but it's to give you a idea of the size

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Probably fungus gnats. Are you using a store bought soil?

3. Yes FFOF and happy frog

Will fly tape catch them?

4. No.......gnats are a common problem in FFOF or so I've been told. I make my own soil and don't have to deal with it. The best treatment for it is neem cake (neem seed meal) and I've heard that B T mosquito dunks work well.

Neem cake is hard to find without getting it online but the mosquito dunks are readily available. Perhaps someone that has dealt with them regularly will chime in with additional information.

I know another grower here that swears by using a fan that blows briskly across the pots to keep them from landing and laying eggs in your soil. The soil comes with eggs and/or larvae that hatch the gnats. The gnats fly from the pot's soil and then land to deposit more eggs. You need to break the adult / larvae cycle to eradicate them. They're more of a nuisance than a threat, but I would try to get rid of them nonetheless.

5. I read someone on here that fine sand placed on top soil will prevent them from living in the soil. Might want to do more research on that before trying tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app