help me get started

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bern-Dizzle, May 17, 2007.

1. alright, i need help on a cheap way to grow. If someone can tell me how to start from germinating to flowering that wud be cool. and i wud like to know a step-by-step way of what to do, what to buy(cheap..) and all that stuff. i have a pretty good grow room, and im only looking to grow one plant for now. but yeah, if someone could reply to this telling me what i should buy, and how to grow, and such, that wud be greatly appreciated.

2. read the stickies in this forum and the indoor forums.

3. GC is a very generous place but u cant possibly be asking somebody to give u everstep from start to finish. ur gunna need to research some of this on ur own
    look through the forums and especially at the stickies
    start with germination Germination 420 thats the sticky in absolute begginers GL

4. I know how and stuff, but i wud like the best way for cheap. I have 2 plants already, well they are my friends, but i helped set up and provided seeds and stayed up all night doing most of the work to clean out the grow closet. I have done my research on this and know what i could do, but i would like the best way so i can do it easily without problems. anyways, i know about those forums. heres some questions rather then getting yu all to do it for me.
    1. how many, and what wattage of bulbs(how much will that be)
    2. what kind of bulbs? CFLs seem to be the cheapest
    3. what should i start with? (soil or dirt, or whatver, then what soil should i use when i transplant them?)
    4. how often should i feed them? and how much?
    5. when should i start flowering?(i figure after a month and a half)
    6. should i use diff bulbs for flowering? if so what kind?
    7. how long should i flower for?

there those are my main questions. If a vet. grower could answer these, or somone with alot of knowledge, please do.
    PS. i know how to germinate.

5. Try not to think cheap, generally you will get a larger yield and better quality if you spend properly on lighting, set-up, and supplies. And at the price of MJ these days that extra investment is well worth it. I would rather spend $500 on a set-up to get 4 ounces of kind bud than $100 on a set-up to get 1/2 ounce of mediocre bud, and the stoner economists would tell you to do that too.

It is impossible to tell someone exactly what they will need, there are too many variables that are specific to your particular conditions. Some folks don't need to spend anything on temp control, others can spend thousands and still have problems (literally). I had posted a shopping list here a while back, seek and ye shall find.

For lights try to upgrade to HID -- specifically I would recommend a HPS coupled with a MH conversion bulb for vegging. CFLs are OK, particularly for vegging, but they leave a lot to be desired for flowering.

Lastly, keep in mind that every grower who starts off taking the cheap route and then gets more into it for the long term ends up upgrading their equipment. So they buy the cheap set-up and then end up investing in the more expensive set-up anyway, essentially paying more than if they had invested properly in the first place. So, the true "cheap" route is to upgrade from the start.

6. I definately agree. If you plan to grow on a regualr cycle, it is worth the inital investment. Especially for the HID. (Look for remote ballast HIDs. They're cheaper and temp is easier to manage.)

I am on my first grow(bagseed) and I'm growing with cfls. I have decided to wait unitl it is successful before I make the comitment to an HID. (stealth is a Major issue for me). After doing extensive reading in this and other forums I decided this would work best for my situation.

In terms of cfls, you need at least 50watts per plant in veg and 75 to 100watts for flowering.

Start with some organic potting soil. Soil grows are more forgiving to noobs like us. Make sure it has NO ferts. And NO miracle-gro that stuff's awfull.

Don't fert for about 20 days after germinating. Then get some high nitrogen ferts 20-10-10 and use a quarter of the directions strength.

If u type the key words of each question in the search field, threads will appear that have the answers to your question. There's alot, I mean ALOT of information as well as very patient and generous people here. But realize, I had the same questions 3 months ago when I started my research as did many others. So chances are your question has already been raised by another user and answered. Especially general ones about lights and fert schedules. Its not that we don't want to help; we just don't want to answer the same five questions over and over agian. Thats all.

Dude, good luck with ur grow! keep reading...it will all become clear....