Help me fix this laptop

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by kdawg209, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hello all!

I am currently fixing a friends hp G60-120US Notebook as the backlight to the laptop has stopped working. I have looked around the web but could not find the answers I am looking for. After logging in, the backlight will work for a minute or so before dying out. You are able to see the screen if you hold it at a certain angle or shine a light on it. I did some research and figured it was the inverter that was broken.

I bought an inverter on amazon for like 15 bucks, replaced it, put it all back together to see what would happen. AND IT WORKED!!..for a few seconds, only to have the screen start to flicker as if it were about to die out. The flickering continued and the backlight dying out did not return for another 10 minutes or so.

I am basically back to where I started on this. Is it the screen I should replace? Did I receive a bad inverter? I checked the cable and they did not seem pinched at all.

Also, if I were to replace the screen, would this be compatible with the laptop I am working on? They are giving me 100 bucks for parts/labor and found this little deal on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/HP-G62-340US-LAPTOP-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B004LSCYJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385255220&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+g60+screen

Any (intelligent) responses are welcomed! Thank you!

2. Im not really going to pretend like I know how to fix w/e is wrong with the laptop. I would only suggest maybe trying to hook the laptop on to a tv or a monitor to see if it functions well that way, if the screen seems to be the only problem. Hope this helps

Sent from....... wouldn't you like to know. Probably your mamas house.

3. Forgot to mention that! I had done so and it worked fine, so I guess buying the inverter was pointless.

4. Sounds like the backlight. I would recomend replacing the screen. If you know what your doing you can replace just the backlight but its easy to screw up if you are not very carefull.

5. #6 Subliminal Jazz, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
    as he said ^ its just the backlight so chances are something is either disconnected on it or the wire connecting the backlight isn't getting enough juice.

honestly i can't do anything if i don't physically have the laptop here. but if you know how to open it without breaking anything further look for any wiring that might be loose or broken.

luckily backlights aren't even a fraction as expensive to replace as a screen so i'd say just have your buddy take it in to a repair shop.