Help me find my dream strain :)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GanjaBat, Feb 19, 2010.

1. I'm trying to narrow down my options, and I'd love to get some opinions. This is for my own, small personal stash. No commercial ambitions. Basically I've put together my dream list of strain qualities. Be warned, it's long and it's detailed ;) I'm guessing no single strain will meet all criteria, but who knows. So here's what I'm looking for:

The Grow:

-Suitable for a small indoor grow
    -Suitable for a newby grower, nothing too exotic
    -Probably either a soil grow or possibly aeroponics/bubble bucket
    -Something "SCROGable" would be great, but not required
    -Low odor for a stealth grow
    -Seed availability. If I can't get ahold of the beans, none of the rest of this matters.

The Smoking Experience:

-Probably looking for something along the lines of a 60/40 sativa/indica.
    -This would be a regular, daytime smoke.
    -A mild, up, clear headed, happy high. Not racey or overly energetic.
    -A social high. Something to be ok around non-tokers. Not a stay-home-and-watch-a-movie kind of high.
    -The less paranoia the better.
    -Something suited for sports/activity like running, mountain biking etc.
    -Relatively low potency. I'm not looking for a one hit wonder. I'd like something I could enjoy an entire joint of without completely wasting the day.
    -Something clear headed enough to still get some work done or hold an intelligent conversation (ie something other than "OMG I'm so $!&^ing high right now")
    -Good taste and smell. I prefer pine trees to road kill :)
    -Nothing too harsh on the throat/cough inducing. Just a nice mild smoke.
    -Something that has minimal affect on your eyes/face. Basically, I don't want to look like this guy after two puffs:

[​IMG]
    *picture shamelessly stolen from the connoisseurs guide thread :)

Things I don't care about:

-Yield. This is for personal stash, non-commercial. And I'm not a heavy smoker. Quality>quantity.
    -Seed cost. Sure cheaper is better, but hey, this is my dream strain. You can't put a price on that can you?
    -Potency. The trend these days seems to be stronger and stronger smoke. I prefer the sipping wine approach rather than the downing-shots-of-jack method.
    -Time to flower. I can be patient for the right bud.

A few notes on strains I've tried:

NL strains: Seems to be recommended for newbie growers & low odor indoor grows, but I really didn't care much for the high. Wasn't terrible, just didn't really stand out. Probably too indica-ish

Haze strains: Unique high, but pretty edgey/racey for me. Also seem to be better for more experienced outdoor growers.

Super Skunk: Loved the high, probably one of my favorites. Up and happy, but not overpowering. But I don't think I can handle the smell.

From reading descriptions & strain guides, I've come across these as possibilities, but would like to learn more about them from those that have grown or smoked them:

Flo
    C99
    Apollo
    Frostbite
    Skywalker

So, am I asking too much? Should I just get the whatever's on sale and be happy, lol? Any others I've missed?

*If you read through all that and are still with me, I'm impressed!

2. Get a NL or a White Widow strain. That should be good for what you want.

3. I spent some time in the netherlands a while back and I've tried a few NL strains, but as I said didn't care as much for the high. I still may end up with an NL, but wanted to check out some other options.

I've also tried WW and it was good, but from what I remember it was pretty overpowering. Didn't take much to put you in a complete fog.

4. Bubba Kush... the only thing that it doesnt fit is it is pretty damn high in THC...

it has an earthy smell to it when growing and doesnt have a super strong bud smell... i always like doing stuff after smoking it too and the taste wont let you down...the shits bomb but def capable of being a normal person when stoned.

5. the church by greenhouse seeds

It has a heavy indica feeling that evolves in a long lasting cerebral high. The taste is special and it has a very social effect.
    Flowering indoor is 9 weeks, with a yield of 700 to 800 gr/ sqm.

6. Alegria (by Kiwiseeds) :: SeedFinder :: Strain Info

I just harvested this. It is a really mild high that probably fits what your looking for, and it is just incredibly smooth. Not overpowering, will not wreck you, and it is a -really- smooth smoke.

It is so smooth, I wouldn't have noticed anything was in the roor without the floral bubble gummy aroma and super light, clean flavor. About 9-10 weeks flowering and you're set for a very cerebral high. Also, despite the claim of a mostly indica, I can tell you for a fact it seems sativa heavy to me... both the high and the look of the plant. It was about 6 ft tall w/ thinish fan leaves at the end of flowering, a fair bit of stretch. Grows just like a xmas tree.

7. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to take a look at those. That Algeria looks especially interesting.

8. Anyone else tried Kiwiseeds Algeria?

Any other suggestions?

I'm also considering the possibility of an outdoor grow if an outdoor strain might be better suited to what I'm looking for.

9. check out nirvana seed bank's "chrystal"

its white widow x northern lights. indica sativa hybrid. quick veg and flower, high yield, and the seeds arent too expensive (you could even buy fem. if you want, its like 10 bucks more).

i havent looked into too many banks but this looks like an easy strain to grow based on the description.

10. sigh... I guess I should thank you for your reply, but seriously, if you aren't going to even read my post, you really shouldn't waste your own time replying.

In this short thread I have specifically said (twice) that I had tried and did not prefer WW or NL.

I also mentioned that the 3 things I did NOT care about were yield, seed cost, and time to flower. lol.

Not trying to be a dick, but seriously man...

Come on guys, I know there are some connoisseur blades out there!

11. ^lol sry but people need to read the actual post before attempting to give advice.Otherwise its just like pulling somthing out of your ass lol its too funny.I care because i was looking for similar type of seeds.

12. i seemed to have addressed a lot of your questions but pardon me if i insult you, but your post was kinda fuckin retarded....

all those things you "dont care about" like veg time, potency, yield... those are the things you should care about.

low veg time and increased yield per sq foot means your operation will be more stealth (which is something you said you wanted up there....

now on to the issue of potency: more potent = less pot you are required to grow, then subequently store, and more importantly: its less bud you have to smoke! healthier dude. and if you cant handle one hit of dank you shouldnt be growing marijuana.

also i think chrystal is a sativa dominant hybrid (more white widow vs northern lights) i know you have tried these strains seperately, but keep in mind, a genetic cross between the two plants wont be the same as just packing a bowl with both weeds in there. the new weed has its own phenotype BASED on its genotype. just like how you dont act like a perfect clone of both of your parents, you just have many of their traits.

sorry for suggesting chrystal, it is just a very readily available, easy to grow, nice strain with a lot of good reviews and i've had personal experience with a pack of seeds from a very common seed bank so i thought my advice would be perfect for someone like you who seems to know very little about marijuana cultivation. now if you "read through all that and are still with me" GROW THE FUCK UP AND DO SOME OF YOUR OWN RESEARCH YOU KNOW IT ALL JACKASS. STOP MAKING A THREAD FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR YOU THEN ACTING SMART. have a nice day

13. LOL !!!
    Awesome dude. I second that motion, samiyam!
    :wave:

14. actually sorry for being rude. i found your dream strain. based on the description its this shit called "schwag". you should check it out. it sounds perfect for you.

15. I was just about to say flo and saw it on your list. I think that would be the perfect bud for ya

16. #16 GanjaBat, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    Where exactly did you do that? I must have missed it.

I'm not insulted. I just don't see why you wasted your time replying.

Let me break it down for you:

I specifically say (more than once) that I have tried both WW and several NL strains (in Holland, where I know exactly what I'm getting) and did not care as much for them as for other strains.

Then, you come along and suggest a cross between WW and NL with absolutely no explanation to support why this might actually be a good recommendation for what I'm interested in.

Then, you say:
    Congratulations! You managed to comment on 3 out of the 4 things that I specifically said I was not concerned with, (again without any explanation of why I should be concerned with them, if that is your argument) and without commenting on ANY of the points I was actually interested in. Bravo, that must take talent.

OK, you got me there.

But, I don't. A couple of plants, even on the lower end of the yield scale and the upper end of the veg time will more than supply my small personal needs. How do I know? Because I've actually done the calculations.

OK, let's think about this. Here are some assumptions:

1. I grow in my own home, not in my Daddy's house.
    2. I'm responsible enough to let the people in my home know what I'm doing, and they are on board with it.
    3. I will be continuously growing and harvesting plants indoors, year-round.
    4. My grow space and equipment will be more or less the same no matter which plants I grow.
    5. I will be happy with the yield that I get, low or high. Hell, I probably won't even weigh it.
    6. I might actually know something about growing weed.

With this in mind, please explain to me how growing low veg time and high yield/sq ft plants are more stealth than high veg time/low yield plants. I'd really love to hear your explanation of this. Perhaps they grow more quietly?

Seriously? We are talking about a couple of plants and maybe a jar or two of finished goods. Not a fucking warehouse full of pot. OMG wherever will I store it?!

I understand the argument of more potency = less needed to smoke = "healthier", but jeeze man. It's smoking fucking weed. I know it's not the healthiest thing on the planet. Aside from weed, I live a very healthy lifestyle. I eat right and work out. Why can't I enjoy the weed I want to when I want to, even if it's lower on the potency scale?

Wow. That is certainly an enlightening statement. You can rest assured that I have "handled" more than my fair share of "hits of dank" ;)

You know, if you had included this statement in your original post, it might have made me actually think you read the thread before posting.

Don't look now, but I think you finally got to the point where you explained why you made your recommendation. Fantastic! Thank you for contributing.

What exactly makes you think I haven't "done my research"? I explained in extreme detail exactly what I was looking for based on many years of personal experience and hundreds of hours of reading everything I can get my hands on with regards to growing. I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me.

It comes down to this: I have a limited amount of time and budget and there is no possible way I can grow the hundreds if not thousands of available strains out there. By asking peoples opinions here on strains that they have personal experience with, I can narrow my search to those that might actually interest me.

Judging by several of the other comments on this thread, I'm not the only one here who is looking for exactly this type of strain.

Wow, you know, that's a really great idea!! In fact, why the hell should I waste my time growing my own when I can just buy some mexican bricko-block from the friendly crack dealer down at the kwik-e-mart.

Thanks Sami, where would I be without your endless wit and wisdom!!

Now stop jackin' my thread and fuck off.

Thank you for reminding me why I stopped posting on this forum 5 years ago.

17. Cool thanks!

18. #18 GanjaBat, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    nevermind.

19. barneys farm LSD

20. Sounds like one of the many Haze or Haze crosses would really fit your bill. I've really fallen for a Super Silver Haze a friend of mine grows. It keeps me awake, focused and very social, but without the jitters or paranoia and has a mild flavor. Also, as trendy as it might sound Super Lemon Haze might actually be perfect for what you're looking for. Has a very similar uplifting mild high but with the added lemon fresh scent and flavor.

A few others to consider:

Neville's Haze
    Mako Haze
    Delahaze
    Grapfruit Haze
    G-13 Haze
    Utopia Haze
    Arjan's Ultra Haze