help me diagnose...

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by kaBLAM, Jan 24, 2010.

1. #1 kaBLAM, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
    leaf tips curling upwards and some yellowing. this is the best picture i've got. can take more but it will have to wait til later.

planted in 12 inch pots, pro-mix only.
    fertilized with fox farm grow big and big bloom.
    "milk" clones only 3 weeks old (approximately)
    watered every 2-3 days.
    under 24 hours of light, 430 watt hps
    temp consistent 78 degrees.
    light is about 2 feet away from the tops of the plants.

any other info needed just ask!! and thanks in advance!!

okay i'm editing this to say that the pic is in my gallery, it's the only one...i can't figure out how to link it into the actual thread. sorry!!!

[​IMG]

2. Are your plants too close to your HPS bulb? Generally speaking, when leafs curl upwards it is a sign of too hot but 78 degrees is not too hot by any means.

How old are your plants? Over nueting?

3. you know...we moved the hps up just a bit, the temp practically stayed the same, but the leaf curling hasn't increased at all.

as they get taller we'll just continue to move it up (obviously).

also, i just read that we shouldn't be nuting more than 1x per week...we nuted twice this week, because having the plants on a 24 hour light schedule increased the number of waterings they needed. we still did every other watering for nuting, but that still meant 2 feedings in one week. so i'm thinking it was prolly a combo of heat stress and nute burn. from now on we will do only 1 feeding at half strength per week, no matter how many times we actually water.

we are using the FF trio, so hopefully we haven't totally fried the roots.

i kind of want to avoid flushing them, as i know that can be stressful.

4. Fox Farms has a chat of how much to add for what stage of growth your plants are in.

IE; For week 3 it told me to use 2 tablespoons of grow big and 2 tablespoons of big bloom. I used 1 of each. My point is, I watered my my nutes down and didn't go full strength till I was 1.5 months in. I slowly kept adding more and more each week till I was going full strength.

5. good to note.

i think our major problem this time was that we were watering so often but still following the every-other-watering feeding schedule too. it just turned out to be too much. thankfully they're only three weeks old or so, and have only gotten nutes for 1 week. so this isn't multiple weeks of overferting...this is 1 over fert application that was still basically at half strength.

so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be good. :smoking:

6. Got pics?

You should be fine, just don't stress her out :)

7. the one pic in my gallery is what she looks like now. we have three plants, but all three plants have the same symptoms.

8. as much as i like ff soils, their ratios are all wrong on their ferts. I am sure you probably do have the soil stuff, but just checking, you do not want the hydro formula grow big in soil, the buffers do not work correctly. If you are having to water that much I would go feed water water feed water water feed and so on until they are larger. I personally would recommend using the big bloom all the way through, but that tiger bloom can be a bit much to flush. Adding a constant supply of the micros (immobile elements) in the flowering stage adds alot of metals to your soil. I recommend replacing that Tiger Bloom with a bottle of Earth Juice Bloom. Use 1/4 strength Tiger bloom as a foliar spray if you are showing deficiencies of any micros, and that is as far as tiger bloom would get from me, if at all. I have more fertilizers than the average person (including fox farm's whole line, earth juice's whole line, happy frog soil amendments, sunleaves guano's whole line, Alaska 5-1-1 fish and 0-10-10 morbloom, bloom boosters, hygrozyme, molasses, blood meal, bone meal, epsom salts, and each has a specific use and in more recent times, the only thing that has any use in my garden is the guano. Sunleaves sells a box called The International House Of Guano. It has Mexican bat guano, peruvian (sp?) seabird guano, jamaican bat guano, and indonesian bat guano. All are added at the rate of 1TBsp mixed into the topsoil 1x a week. Each has it's own time for use and it is real simple to do, or teas can be made with molasses or soy sauce and aeration. The small set of guanos sells for around $30 for all 4, or you can get the big boy box for $100. All organic, and have never had a problem over feeding. Organic is the way, grow big and tiger bloom are not organic, but you can keep the big bloom around for a general pick-me-up of worm castings, or use it in a tea with some guano. IMO, Guano produces the best flavor in my buds, and I am not crazy, Soma says the same thing. He gave the idea of guanos to me, and I ran with it.