Help me diagnose with pics 5 weeks 12/12

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Odissey, May 11, 2015.

1. Hello everyone.
    \nSo I think I have multiple problems which are causing my plant to have red pistils prematurely, as well as slow bud swelling. 
    \n4 days ago I accidentally snapped the top cola of my plant but quickly did some bandage and I think she recovered with no problem.
    \nOther than that, I have asked in several posts if someone thought it was strange that my pistils are maturing so fast, and everyone said they were fine. However, recently I read there were some kind of mites that could cause the pistils to die / become red, and from the leaves it seems indeed that I have mites. I posted this in the begginers forum but since noone answered I went ahead and sprayed with a garlic, chilli and rosemary solution.
    \nAlso, my grow room is getting pretty hot, and perhaps I have heat stress.
    \nThe buds are getting very frosty, but in terms of size they have been the same for 1-2 weeks and a lot of the pistils are red/orange (switched to 12/12 5 weeks ago and she started flowering 1.5-2 weeks after). 
    Now I don't know if this is normal and the buds will swell in the last 2 weeks as some suggest or if I indeed have a problem that can cause my plant not to grow.
    \nI read somewhere that extremely dry conditions could severely halt bud development, and since my grow room is pretty hot and dry (which is why I suspect some of the leaves are very crisppy) do you think if I increase the humidity levels the plant will continue to grow?
    \nAlso, do you think it could be rootbound? She is relatively small and the pot is 12 L.
    \nBy the way I have another plant which has fallen as a seedling and consequently remained very small until now, but now she is growing and her buds are getting really fat (both plants are side by side). Since they are in relatively similar conditions, could it be that the Power Flower is getting heat stressed only because she is the one that is directly under the lamp? Or do you think I have some kind of nute deficiency? (Phosphorus perhaps)
    \nThanks in advance for the help
    \n\n

Attached Files:

2. Ok you have some nute burn and n tox which is probably locking out calcium since it's toward the middle and they're dark...as for mites idk but you do have tons of hairs and dirt/shit on your leaves which should be fairly clean if you just sprayed them

saw a few strings that could be webs but you need a portable microscope or jewelers loupe to see them crawling around..as for the hairs they could be pollinated and I might see a herm nanner in the last pic that yellow curve sticking out..if not they're fine I have hairs turn early a lot...they will still swell in high heat they just will just be stressed which can hurt yield or cause herm..overall they look good what week are they?

3. Besides the obvious heat stress they look completely healthy. Not even kidding. No evidence of spider mites whatsoever in those pics.

5 weeks into flower the fan leaves should be consumed as buds begin to use up stored carbs in the leaves. The pistils turn red from any contaminate whatsoever, from smoke to dust.

Great job.

~ poke

4. Wow two completely different opinions. So the photos are before I sprayed them, this evening I'll post photos after the spray. 

My fan builds up a lot of dust and then blows the dust into the plants that's why the leaves are so dirty. I try to clean it regularly but still... And now the leaves don't have dust but have garlic and chili powder, should I remove it or leave it to prevent the possibility of infestation?
    They are on the 5th week.

As for nutes, the only thing I can get hands on here is either a 7-3-7 or a 3-1-5, I know that both suck because they lack P, could this limit my yield considerably? What are things I could do to increase the P? (aside from better nutes, because I have searched all over the stores here)

Thanks a lot. Today I canged position with my mini-plant which given that she is small she can be directly under the lamp without getting overheated. The Power Flower seems to be enjoying this change, but it doesn't get as much light, do you think I should keep it like this or try something else? In other words, what is preferable: more light and more heat or less heat a a little less light?

Also, today I checked the bottom of the pot and the roots are showing in the holes, should I transplant her(would be really difficult at this stage) or increase the hole size and put the pot in a container with extra soil, so that the roots could expand though it?

5. Less heat is always better, but more light is also always better. You'll have to make that decision. I'd probably opt for less heat and light personally.

There is a third option, a rootball trimming, and a transplant into the same and current pot, with new fresh soil, but I wouldn't perform it after 4 weeks in flower (I've actually done it as late as 4 weeks in flower)

I'd leave them be and top dress with castings should something become deficient.

As for now, I wouldn't change a thing, except more airflow across the canopy :)
    ~ poke

6. It seems I had a problem and a big one but was yet to become obvious. So the pictures above are from the day I watered her (3 days ago), and today when I woke up she was fine.

However, a few hours later she started drooping really bad. I checked the soil and even though the top 3 cm or so were dry, below that it was really wet, so I have a drainage problem and now she's over-watered. She never had this problem but I guess that with the heat wave here where I live and the wet soil it might have triggered some root rot :s

I have already opened several holes in the pot on the sides and bottom, and poked some holes on the soil to help drying.

What else do you think I could do? Will she be able to recover?

7. Just let it dry out, she transpires more water/ uses during heat stress. The cupping is a way sweating to stay cool. If you have lowered your temp then you will have less transpiration and less evaporation

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. What led you to the conclusion that you have root rot? Do you smell sulfur?

Well just the fact that she's never been overwatered before, and now she's drooping a lot ( I thought wet + hot = good conditions for rot). Do you think this is not enough to conclude it? 
    Do the leaves that are drooping recover?

By the way thanks a lot for you help man

10. Drooping is a perfectly normal and expected response to a root drench.

Rot is typically a parasite. It has the smell of rotten eggs much like sulfur.

I definitely believe you are overthinking it. I think they will be absolutely fine. For what it's worth, I let my girls sit drenched in water for hours every time I water :)

Takes me ten or so hours to water 40 or so plants.
    ~ poke

That calms me down, it doesn't smell bad at all, it smells like sweet bud!

What exactly is root drench? I don't think this drooping is normal though.

Here are some pictures I have just taken (the particles on the leaves is garlic powder and chilli)

View attachment 156485
    View attachment 156484
    View attachment 156483
    View attachment 156482
    View attachment 156481
    View attachment 156476
    View attachment 156477
    View attachment 156479
    View attachment 156480
    View attachment 156478

12. Your issue is simple.

You didn't add any perlite to your soil mixture. See the pic you posted with brown soil. There should be thousands of white specs of perlite, aka aeration so that your roots can breath, this 100% explains the droopyness. They're suffocating from lack of aeration.

You can never add too much aeration. More is always better than less.
    ~ poke
    P.s. Nice buds buddy!

Yes I am aware that I should have added perlite. However, I could not find it in the garden stores here. What I could find was clay balls for hydro which I added in the hope that it would help aeration. The things that I can find here are very limited, which is weird since I'm in the Netherlands...

The only thing that is strange is that this never happened before, hopefully she will recover quickly.

Thanks man, do you think they will swell significantly? Because they look beautiful, smell great, but are becoming small in comparison to my mini plant's buds.

14. That looks like she's very thirsty, make sure soil underneath at the roots is actually dry, don't saturate the soil, give her some let it soak in they check back on her

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. Thanks a lot for the quick response! It seems that the extra holes really improved the drainage, only poured a little a it immediately ran off the sides and bottom (never happened before). Gave her 40 cL and she's on a 12 L pot, do you think it's ok? hope this solves the problem. 

16. She seems to be recovering! :D Thanks a lot guys!