Help me design my grow room!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Jakael, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Hey guys and girls, I'd like to thank everyone for the informative posts on this site. I's really helped with getting my first grow up and running. Now however I am ready to tackle something bigger, Still soil since i'm a noob yet but on a larger scale. I am finishing my basement this summer and have a spot that is really of no use. my basement is a fat L shape and the top of the L is behind the furnace and not as deep (5 feet as opposed to 6.5 feet) as the rest of my basement. I want to build my grow room in this otherwise wasted space. The dimensions are 9 ft wide, 12 feet long and 5 feet high(after the celing is installed). No work is done on it yet so I can build anything so long as it fits in those dimensions. I would like to have both a veg and flower room in there and would also like to get a set up that would let me harvest 1-2 oz per week(sort of like our good Dr bud greengenes has) but with MH and HPS lights. If you have experience and can help me out I would be eternally grateful. Bear in mind this wont be getting set up untill the fall so we have plenty of time to plan it out. Thanks for all your help, Jakael

2. how much $$ can u spend? thats going to be expensive

mine cost around 1.8k for a MUCH smaller space and its not even done yet.

3. its a shame 5 ft is the top height, but im sure there's lots you could do with an area that size. make sure you do your research on air flow and filtration and the rest should come to you with experience. I too am setting up a grow in the basement, and filtration and air flow are my 2 biggest question marks.

4. I know it will take a bit of cash flow to get this started but I have a decent job so I will be able to afford the things I need. I think initially I would like to get 2 400 watt HPS lamps to flower and 1 400 MH for the veg. I dont need to fill the whole space, I just put that up as a maximum area. What sq. footage would best suit the lights and in what shape(square, rectangle, etc)? If that low of a celing is a problem I could build up front which would give me an additional 1.5 feet heightwise. Thanks for the input, Jakael

5. I'd opt for the additional head space, I'm using 2 400's and I have 7 1/2 feet to work with and well you can see what I mean by checking out my grow.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/131440-12-12-harvest-pics-update-weekly.html

6. I had ideas to use a similar low head space area, but trashed it to go with a smaller taller space.

think about it ;)

7. Wow Chimera, thas some nice looking stuff you got there. I think I'll move my proposed area to the front of my basement, I have 6.5 feet of clearance there so with the light installed ill get about 6. What would you guys suggest then for length and depth? I'm going to go with two 400s and from what ive read 3000 lumens per sq foot is ideal. So with the 2 lights, I'm looking at about 30 sq feet, 3 feet deep by 10 long by 6 .5 feet high. Hows that sound? If I grow in 5 gallon pails that should be enough space for 3-5 plants without overcrowding I hope.