Help Me Decide Where to Move, GC!

Discussion in 'General' started by Zatyro, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Well I grew up in Alabama, moved to Georgia for a brief stint, and now, due to lots of things, I'm ready to leave again. I can't take it in the South anymore. :( Going to Victoria in BC would be my first choice but I have no clue how to even begin to move to Canada. SOOO....the States it is for now.

On to business: I've always thought the Pacific NW was gorgeous so that's what I'm thinking but I'd like any and all suggestions.

Essentially it's a "Rate Your Home Town Thread" :wave:

Here's my preferred qualities of said town:

1. MJ tolerant or ability to get medical card for my Depression /Anxiety (I am diagnosed by a physician, not myself, but I don't like Benzos so I refuse prescriptions from docs) Basically, I don't wanna be strung up by my toes for being caught with a few grams (not that I ever plan to get caught. Never have, never will...but just in case)

2. Prefer cold weather over hot

3(a). I'd like to be able to make decent money working student jobs. Finishing school is going to be my first priority but I don't have parental support so basically, nowhere that tends to have poorly paid employees.

3(b). AFFORDABLE living. I'll do my damnedest to find roommates rather than living alone but I still don't wanna have to bust my ass 50+ hrs a week + school just to keep the lights on.

4. Prefer being NEAR big cities but living outside of town in the country or at least some super chill suburbs.

Uhh...that's it for now :D I graciously accept all suggestions and will research all suggestions thoroughly.

2. #2 jctu82, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    maybe you should consider moving somehwere in northern california. the cost of living is relatively inexpensive in sacramento or oakland and it's close enough to san francisco.

3. I've been seriously debating Cali but I'm concerned about a few things. I'm pretty big into cars and I'm worried about all the strict regulations against the automotive community. My car DEFINITELY will not pass Cali emissions :eek:

4. Colorado Springs te best place for you to move. Look into it. I've lived here my entire life and couldnt be happier. Besides CA we are the biggest state in america for MMJ. The cops here are cool as hell and super friendly. Its cold the majority of the year, Pleanty of suburbs/apartments for extremely cheap. Headshops and Dispensaries on every corner i can think of. The best dankness anywhere in the country is being grown and improved every day. And the colleges are great and offer everything you could want.

5. #5 Zatyro, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
    Wow! That place is gorgeous! The Pike's Peak run is my favorite auto event of all time, too! How would I fare getting a job quickly there? You may have a new sesh buddy soon ;) lol

EDIT: BTW, it seems like Colorado's MMJ laws are pretty strict and only cover life threatening ailments and such. Is this correct? I don't know much about MMJ laws and it's not exactly necessary, I just want to feel comfortable growing a single plant and smoking in my home. I never carry or smoke outside of my house unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

6. #6 BluDreams, Nov 3, 2010
    Alta/SLC Utah if you ate into hiking, biking, boating, long boarding, skiing, rock climbing, or snowboarding. and many more we have a shit ton of all of those things. Nice people and a surprisingly green scene if you know where to look, fine dank all around if you moved down here I would help you out, and I have been all over the world and America and I still love it here, it's gorgeous and fun. Whatever you're into we probably have it, in my opinion at least a perfect tokers paradise. There are a ton of head shops even though there is no MMJ it is still pretty easy to come across,

7. NorCal, Oregon would be ideal it sounds.

Just be careful not to live too near SanFran, gets to be REALLY pricey. Theres lots of little outskirts that are really nice though and not too expensive.

8. Pffttt forget the pacific NW you can move in with me, i just made a bunch of turkey sandwiches we can share them :)

9. SLC looks pretty cool too. I'm diggin the public transport. That's something that EVERY city should have.

I am still considering NorCal...Idk why I just feel like I won't be happy there. Idk what it is though lol

MMM..Turkey! lol. I'll take you up on that if there's THC involved somehow lol.:smoke:

I haven't smoked in months :eek:

Stupid job search...I hate this shit. I've been in Atlanta for 3 months and I've still got no job. I bust my ass filling out apps, calling around, using what few connections I have, etc... but still there's no one really hiring. I do delivery, usually, but I can't do it here cuz I still have an Alabama tag and apparently that doesn't fly here..

Long story short: sober/broke in atl and pissed

keep the thread going guys! I'm liking all the suggestions so far

10. If you do this anway, then you probably shouldn't be too concerned about Colorados MMJ laws even if you don't qualify. Chances are Colorado will be right behind California with regards to future Propositions and legalization efforts.

Seriously, consider Colorado. Amazing state to live in.

11. Oh yeah I definitely am HIGHLY considering it. The mountains and the cold weather are just what I need.

Regarding the MMJ, I don't need it. It would just give me peace of mind for growing. The MJ really does help my anxiety but I'm not gonna lie and say that's the reason I smoke.

Am I correct in assuming you live there, Tokin? If so, what city and what's your favorite thing about said city?

TIA

12. colorado
    !

13. I lived in Salt Lake City for almost 10 years, and it is indeed an AWESOME place to live. Public transport goes anywhere you need to go, and the way all the roads are set up makes it so damn easy to find your way around it's ridiculous.

I will be moving back there someday. It's just a beautiful city with lots to do, and lots of friendly people.

14. For serious SLC is the way to go, and don't let the hole mormon thing turn you away, It's not that bad, a lot of people smoke here, I would even get you started, Move to salt lake city man, I am telling you.

15. A) We just lost all of our Dispensaries to the election.

B) Do you know where I can find a job? I'll fight you to the death for it.

:laughing:

In all seriousness, though, it's a very inexpensive and Cannabis-friendly place to live, but it takes a little getting used to. I would recommend moving somewhere else in Colorado if you can afford it, preferably farther north.

OP, have you considered Oregon? Portland, maybe? I may be somewhat disillusioned by the amazing Bicycle Paths, but that's just me.

:p

16. Wow all the dispensaries are gone? Why the fuck is the entirety of North America taking a gigantic step backwards?! It seems like, all of a sudden, not only are people putting a stop to legalization efforts, they're actively trying to make prohibition WORSE! Even the Canadian government, if you haven't heard, is trying to impose stricter penalties for marijuana offenses. They're even building more fucking prisons in anticipation of the new penalties!! Wtf has the world come to?
    Sigh...sorry about the rant.

Back on topic, OK I'm seeing a lot of support for CO in general and SLC.

Thus far:

I like Colorado Spring specifically because of that cozy little family town look it has. Cabins, cold weather, wood/pellet stoves for heat, and nature. Cool stuff right there. I'm also getting the feeling that smoking is kinda a non-issue there but, at the same time, is also a split crowd.

I'm concerned about not being able to find a job there, though. UCCS looks like an awesome school (I'm an Engineer by nature) so that's cool, but what good is it if I can't buy books and ramen? :D

SLC is looking cool as well. You guys aren't the first to tell me it's awesome. The Mormons don't scare me, lol. Unless they string up atheists in the town center, I will be alright. Technically I am an agnostic, just because we can't TRULY know until we're dead, but if I was in a life or death situation where fence-riding was prohibited, I would just say I'm an atheist.
    Though I could get down with the multiple wives :ey: (sorry if that offended anyone lol)
    Anyway, I am concerned about a few things:

A.) The extreme weather changes. I'm from AL/GA...The heat KILLS me. I wanna shoot myself in the fucking head in the middle August. I swear you can put a new dash in your car each year and it'll still be spider-webbed with cracks by September.

B.) I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear a lot of earthquake rumors revolving around SLC. I've only been through 1 earthquake. I was in the hospital visiting my dad and it was seriously just like a little vibration. My chair and his TV were shaking but I damn-near shit my pants. Earthquakes terrify me for some reason, lol.

C.) I hear the smog can get incredibly unreasonable there at certain times of the year. I have very mild asthma but also an incredibly long family history of emphysema. Poison gas in the air concerns me lol.

So that's my take on the suggestions so far. By the way SLC guys, I'm not dissing SLC. I'm considering it equally, I would just like to hear your opinions on the issues I've posted.

Thanks for all the great comments guys!! Keep 'em comin!:hello::gc_rocks:

17. #18 BluDreams, Nov 3, 2010
    Live up in the mountains and not the vally as much, that's why I said alta, It's a little ski town. Perfect mountain environment, it would also take care of the smog and heat, it gets pretty hot in the summer and quite cold in the winter in the vally, there is snow on the mountains like 8 months out of the year, the smog can get kinda bad sometimes I admit, but I doubt its half as bad as you're probably imagining it to be, so thoseissues shouldn't be that big of a deal.

18. oh and I have lived in salt lake city for most of my life and have never experienced an earthquake here and only half a tornado...

19. Holy fuck, Alta has a population of just 300 people? I've never heard of anything like that. Good deal about the quakes. Scary scary shit for me lol. Any other areas around SLC that might not be so bad weather and smog wise?