Help me complete my PC box.

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JYLok, Jun 15, 2012.

1. How's it going guys? Long time lurker, first time poster. Conditions are finally right for me to get this little project of mine going. I'm soon moving into a one bedroom apt, with a pretty impressive walk in closet. There aren't any fire alarms or ac panels in there, so there is no reason at all for anyone to be in there unless I ask for it.

I have a pretty nice PC box lying around, and the design of it was meant to emphasis cooling for components. Seeing as how the same principle applies to this craft, I figured it's a nice bet if I build it right.

Here we go. I'm going to comment on the pics in the order they're presented.

1) This is the case without the cover. Overall dimensions are:
    7 1/4" W
    18 7/8" L
    16 1/2" H

2) This is the case with the cover. I plan on utilizing those two fan ports. My plan is to put 2 80mm for intake. Does anyone recommend anything that potentially works better (and quieter)?

3) This is the front of the case from the inside. For my exhaust I was going to put a 120mm fan rigged to a carbon filter. I feel this will be sufficient. The overall challenge of this case, as with any, is odor control.

4) Here's the front. As you can see the entire bottom portion has a meshed screen. I'm going to find a way to utilize that in my carbon filter. I'm no physicist, but just in case I want to make sure that won't hinder my exhaust. If so, I can make this a point of intake and use my exhaust in the back. Another of the challenges i'm dealing with this case is covering that cavity on the op portion. I was thinking some cut foam with a plastic overlay?

5) On the back i'm going to need to figure out more ways to cover the cavities. Power strip with bulbs will come through the top. once again, I think a good use of foam will fix most of these problems. Someone correct me if that's not a good course to take.

6) This is what I believe is the game changer in this design. The removable grill gives me more options for fans, but can also be a source of light leakage.

7) Nothing special. Power strip will be mounted here.

8) Back pov.

Rather than go with mylar I was planning on spray painting a few coats of glossy white on the inside (don't wan't too much heat in here, though I don't see how that's possible). Once again, this is my first go around, any comments will be taken into consideration.

Sangreen :D

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a good sized case, I'd recommend doing passive intake, use the two fans for exhaust. Drill spots out for the fans in the top, it will give you MUCH better temperatures. If you can't drill out the top, place one exhaust on each side (power supply side and upper 2 3.5" slots)

3. Thanks Black, I'm going to go with two 120mm on the power supply and 3.5s. How should I go about setting up the passive intake? Im thinking I could use my 1/2" drill bit to make a series of holes on the bottom. If i go this route, im guessing i don't want to do too many.

4. I'd recommend pulling the front cover off the chassis then drilling a bunch of holes, there should be 3 clips on each side holding it in place, may be a fan slot up front you could use anyway.. I can't tell from pics

5. You can always just cover up the holes with some aluminum tape or something if you drill to many. Just make sure to light proof them if pc box is not staying in a dark room.