Help me choose topic for paper(reps)

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MaxP0wers, Dec 3, 2012.

1. My course is Global Sustainability Concepts and I have to write a 10 page paper due next week. The paper can be on anything that can relate to sustainability which can basically be anything. For example my gf is writing hers on sustainability in a post apocalyptic world.

Post some ideas. I'll rep you if I choose yours.

2. Hemp, vertical farming, population reduction starting with tyrants (joke...maybe). Consumer mentality and entertainment/distraction seem to play a major role in overconsumption and unsustainability. The empty heart, the need to fulfill the void. I love technology for the most part but when im able to i would like to have a house in the middle of nowhere and be content with the simple life. But the solution may also be more technology, such as finding other planets or harvesting asteroids etc. Earth ship houses are cool but im sure they have been the subject of countless papers. Maybe even something as simple as spending more money to buy quality products instead of garbage from poor nations with essentially slave labor that doesnt need to be replaced so frequently. How many cell phones do people go through? Cold fusion, free energy, quantum potential. Hope maybe something sparks an idea for you.

3. #3 Pale Blue Dot, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    You can write on the necessity of nuclear power for us to succeed fossil fuels

NorseMythology: We produce enough food for 12-ish billion people to be fat and happy, overpopulation isn't an issue, it's artificial scarcity. And there's no such thing as free energy, it violates the first law of thermodynamics. On 'garbage' products: production is moved to low-wage regions to maintain or increase a profit rate for a business.

4. Unconventional farming.

How to utilize non farmland for food production.

Last poster mentioned vertical farming, which is basically a green house tower.

Also maybe barge farming (floating a giant green house on a boat)

Maybe even centrifugal station farming in orbit. Basically a halo from the game halo

5. Nuclear power comes from rare metals. Is it really sustainable? Or is it just a longer term version of our current nonreusable energy system

6. There is enough Uranium and Thorium to power nuclear reactors for well beyond the time frame Earth will be inhabitable (hypothesized to be around 500-800 million years from now).