Help me choose a TV

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by mcmad358, Apr 8, 2014.

1. I'm building a man cave in the basement currently and I'm about half way done. I'm looking for a good TV for the basement preferably 46-55 inch led but I don't want to spend an arm and leg. Thanks

2. Samsung makes the LED screens for all the major players now for the past 2-3 years. We have a 60" SONY and it's been 100% trouble free for 4 years now. We also have a 36" Panasonic in the bedroom for about 8 years and the only thing that ever went wrong is a streak of dark diodes across the top. Resembles a shadow across the picture. It's not so bad, just a bummer because I bought it for the clear, sharp picture it has.
    I don't know what to tell you about price. Maybe walk through costco and see what they have.
    We've had a flat tube SONY for 12 years. I ended up giving it to the kids to play games on. It's just too good to throw away. 
    Seems not that long ago tv's only lasted about 3 to 5 years, and the picture tube would go out. The picture tube was the cost of a new set.

3. The LG 47" LED or LCD TV's are great.   I got one about a year ago for $500.00 bucks, added Samsung's "Smart" Blu-Ray player for another $220.00, a few new cables, and for well under a grand, it's as good or better than sets that cost thousands.  

4. #4 Twistedweather, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
    I can vouch for the LG brand.
         I have had my 42 inch LG 1080 120hz (model # <span>LG 42LK520 </span>) for 2+ years and no problems.  The speakers are fine for a single bedroom.  Includes enough options and input/outputs to keep this mild tech geek-gamer and film lover happy.  .

5. I'm going to be having a 5.1 surround system sooner or later for it

What special characteristics do you need? SmartTV? 3D? WiFi?
    My suggestion is to browse mainly for samsung TVs, maybe LG too if you can get a good deal. Find the models that are at the inches you need and then look for the characteristics and their prices. Obviously get a Full HD one at those inches btw.