Help me choose a new grinder!

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Ziellos, Feb 16, 2013.

1. #1 Ziellos, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    So, I've NEVER used a good grinder, I've always had a free $1 little plastic one that I've used on well over a lb of weed. I figure I should probably get a good 4 piece grinder with a kief screen so I'd actually have some. (My friend who smokes the same amount has got a ton of hash from just grinding).

So far, I've come upon the Sweet Stone and the SharpStone grinders (looking for more places to buy)
    Sweetstone Grinders
    Amazon.com: NEW SMART CRUSHER 2.5" Inch LARGE CNC Aluminum 4 PC Pollen Herb Spice Grinder. INCLUDES POLLEN SCRAPER as free gift: Everything Else (+7 shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-STYLE-Tobacco-Pollen-Grinder/dp/B0023X32MA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/SHARP-CRUSHER...AI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1309970836&sr=8-17
    which isn't aluminum?
    Those seem like good deals, could anyone recommend better grinders or better deals for me? I just need it for kief.

I'm also considering buying a kief box to go along with my grinder, grind up the bud, stick in kief box.

2. A few of the best:

Space Case
    Santa Cruz Shredder
    Storz & Bickle

3. #3 Ziellos, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  4. Get a cosmic grinder. They were part of the original space case crew. Quality is top notch.

5. Oppps...........forgot to put the Cosmic in my list. Great grinder also.

[quote name='Ziellos']Those are all $40+ grinders pretty much.[/url]

The Storz and Bickel is only 8 dollars and is one of the best reviewed grinders on the market and many of these great reviews are NOT coming from Volcano owners.

6. #6 Ziellos, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    That $8 one you speak of isn't a 4 piece steel grinder :p it's a little acrylic one with similar pieces all being around that price or even as cheap as $1.

and may I ask how these compare to the one I linked? it's $50 more yet it's aluminum, and the other is steel. The $15 version is aluminum. I see no difference on the specifications.

7. #7 lwien, Feb 17, 2013
    You are absolutely correct. Disregard everything I said. The steel ones are better than the aluminum ones and the Storz and Bickle is exactly the same as the other cheap acrylic grinders. (sigh.............why do I even bother?)

Here's a 137 page thread that does nothing BUT compare various grinders along with pics. If you want to learn about grinders, read through this: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herb-grinders.15/ You might want to start at page 137 and go backwards as the very first post was posted up in 2008. Or..............start from the beginning. Happy reading.

8. #8 Ziellos, Feb 17, 2013
    It seems the Crusher has good reviews on there, especially the 2.2 inch one, but they call it a vape grinder, I guess since it has extra teeth and breaks it up a lot. Would you recommend steel over aluminum?

9. Those grinders with filters are a scam dude, trust me

10. I've had my 4-piece Sharpstone grinder for over 5 years now and it's the pride and joy of my smoker soul. It is the best grinder I have ever used and my friends always ask to use it (I've even had a few try to steal it from me :p). It glides effortlessly when you use it and the herb comes out ultra fluffy and delicious.

This is the one I have:
    Sharpstonegrinders.com

Mine is a little different (it has a leather section on the top) because I bought it on special at a hempfest (a long time ago too) but I'm convinced these guys have the best product out there.

11. Go with the sharpstone. most durable and easy to clean.

12. #12 lwien, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    Sharpstone is the most durable? WRONG !!! There have been more reported issues of aluminum shavings found in ground bud with SharpStones than just about any other brand name grinder.

Space Case, Santa Cruz Shredder, Cosmic's have none of these reported issues.

Stating that the SharpStone is the most durable is utterly false.

13. I've had plenty of sharpstone grinders and I've never had a problem with a single one.

14. You may not have, but others have. Like I said, I have read numerous reports of problems with SharpStones. I have not read one report on either SpaceCase, Santa Cruz Shredders or Cosmics that have ever had any problems with metal shavings in their bud.

Just because YOU have not had any problems with your SharpStone, does not automatically mean that it is the most durable grinder on the market, as you stated.

15. I'm agreeing with the Space Case, Cosmic, Santa Cruz recomendations. I'd throw in a Mendo Mulcher to. Sharpstones are OK for a mid range grinder, but anyone that thinks they are the best, have not used any of the others mentioned. Space Case titanium is MY favorite and I've used everything from plastic and wood to aluminum and titanium. My opinion with grinders is that you get what you pay for. I'm also agreeing with everyone that said there have been shavings problems with Sharpstones. All you have to do is look and you will find numerous reports of it happening. A 4 piece Space Case or any of the others mentioned and you are set for a l-o-n-g time because they are durable and do the job. They are expensive because they are good. Plain and simple. They are also worth it in the long run.

16. not sure if you can get headchef grinders shipped to the US, but if you can, they're great. had mine for around 6 months now, no problems whatsoever- perfect grind every time :)

17. #17 hd2000, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013

You've got to be kidding! Head Chef = pure junk. They are cheap because they are lousy. Everyone else is comparing models of Cadillacs and a Ford or two and then you throw in a peddle car, Earth to Deaks. There is a big difference between a $8 grinder and a $80 grinder. No problems for a whole 6 months? I've got a Space Case that hasn't had a problem in about 6 YEARS!

18. I got a 4 piece grinder with a clear top chrome and black for 15$ and it works great the screen is nice af I got it from prosmoker from eBay it's better then spending 40$ for one

19. Clipper grinder

20. I just ordered a medium 2 piece space case grinder. Can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk