Help me build a soil I dont have to cook/nutrient cycle.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by B_herb420, Jan 6, 2015.

1. #1 B_herb420, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
    Hey guys, back with another question.

I'm trying to start a perpetual grow as soon as possible. I want to start vegging new plants now, while my other girls are still in flowering. I forgot to mix more soil, and here it is, 2 weeks till harvest. Can I successfully make a soil with all the nutrients I need, that I can use immediately without nutrient cycling? Or should I just get some organic bottled nutrients and use a basic peat/compost/aeration mix with no added amendments as my soil? 

2. Use the basic peat/compost/aeration mix. It will be fine for the first couple weeks. That way you can start cooking an amended soil.

You could buy some Goodland Growers Gold for your veg plants now, and mix up your soil mix now also, so it's ready for your next flower run.

4. #4 B_herb420, Jan 6, 2015
    I hate to transplant... I'm always scared of ripping something. I like to start from seed in the final container. Could I just mix in some 'tomato tone' with the peat/compost/aeration mix? That way the tomato tone will start breaking down by the time the plant needs food.

Something like this?..
    1 part peat
    1 part horse manure compost
    1 part perlite
    (7.5 gallons total of base mix)
    3 cups Espoma Tomato Tone

Then maybe supplement with kelp/alfalfa tea..?

5. How big are the pots they are in now with the organic soil? I transplanted to five gallon from half gallon pots with TLO and my plants grew for a month before they needed more nutrients. The nutrients will leech into the rest of the medium. Use some promix or something if available, some dolomite lime. 3:1:1 promix:EWC:perlite

6. This will give you time to make some more soil or you can probably just get to harvest with good EWC in the soil you are making up now with some SST, ACTs, top dressing, whatever really.

7. 1/3 Peat
    1/3 Perlite
    1/3 Worm castings and compost

Then mix in 2 cups rock dust per cubic foot and some rabbit manure. Rabbit manure doesn't need to compost or cook before using. I'm
    pretty sure lime and oyster shell are safe also. You can look up proper amounts per cubic foot. Then top dress and make teas with things like kelp and alfalfa to get them through.

8. #8 Distrex, Jan 6, 2015
    You could always try mixing up a small and mild basic soil (or buy something like happy frog). Then mix up your normal batch of soil you have too cook. Fill up your pot with your regular mix. Dig a hole in the middle about the size of a solo cup or so and fill that in with your mild mix.

That should give the seedling time to grow before it start sucking up to much from the hotter soil.

9. Don't forget your rock dust. An organic soil mix is not complete when rock dust is left out. Microbes NEED it.

I would do 4-5 cups of rock dust per c.f.

10. #10 B_herb420, Jan 6, 2015
    Also, I had a worm bin going for a while. I moved, to make a long story short the worm bin got lost for months... They're now found... but dry. Would the castings/dried worms be a good addition? Are the microbes dead? Same question goes for a couple of pots of organic soil I already have mixed. They've been sitting outside for a while. 5 months or so.. They've been completely dry for days at a time, and now it's winter so they're bone dry. This was a good mix. can I still use it? Or are the microbes 'dead'?

11. A healthy transplanted plant will have roots to the bottom of the container in just a few days.

Hey B_herb420

I would consider going with Da-Lu's advice. Don't be too afraid of transplanting, its crucial in developing a dense root mass. The one exception I could see would be if your final container is a root pruning or fabric pot.

If you still want to go with the plan above, I would suggest not using so much of the Tomato Tone. I have seen plants do just fine with around 1 cup per cu. ft. (7.5 gal) of fert mix without any cook time. Try 1/2 cup Tomato Tone and 1/2 cup Kelp. It will get hot with 3 cups. And either way I would recommend at least some fresh EWC instead of the compost, and adding some rock dust too. 

And if you need more ferts, just do a top dressing with your fert mix and EWC.

BM

13. The op said he likes to start from seed in the final pot. Would the time it takes for the seed to germ and start growing it's roots be enough time?

That's what I did with the auto seed that I planted a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to have any negative impact on the plant. No burned leaves or any signs of over fertilizing

Attached Files: