Help it's cold outside!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by slick willy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. I have built a grow box that is set up in my workshop outside. Germinated my seed and put them in the pots under 4 100watt bulbs 24/7. They are just begining to peak there pretty little out of the top. My problem is that has decided to get cold here in Bama. Inside temp in the box is about 40-50 degrees. How or what can I do to get things a little warmer inside my grow box. I was thinking of putting pink styro insulate board on the outside. I don't want to put a heater on the inside because of the fire hazard issue. Would really love explaining that to my wife. Help please! Slick Willy

2. Put a space heater on the outside of your grow box, warm the intake air.

3. I would put a heater in front of the vent. You want to aim for a minimum of 65 deg. Depending on the type of heat, you may want to put a bowl of water in there to help keep some humidity.

4. Insulating the box will probably work if you don't want to add a heater. They make 1/2" rigid insul that is really easy to cut, and work with.

5. only issue there is, if it's cold air inside, it becomes a cooler

6. True, but the lights will generate heat, keeping it warmer in the box during lights on. It might be necessary to close off ventilation just before lights off to hold the heat in.

7. They gotta breathe:smoking:

8. No way insulation will do the trick. It can be part of the solution, but he's getting down as low as 40 right now with lights on. And come flower time insulation won't hold heat for 12 hours of lights-out.

My grow cab is in my garage, and I have to deal with cold ambient temps as well -- trust me, the core to the solution is adding heat, not just trapping it.

Also FYI, you will have the reverse problem soon enough, in a few short months Alabama will be warming up and you will be drawing in warm air that then is heated by the light, causing grow temps to get too high. To combat that you can try an air-cooled hood so you don't add much heat from the light to the grow space, or run a/c to cool the intake air, or just don't grow when ambient temps are too warm.

9. Thanks for the great suggestions. I went out and bought a sheet of the styro foam insulation last night and lined my box. It help raise the inside temp about 10-15 degrees. It is sitting at about 60 degrees now and you can certainly tell the plants have taken notice. I will work on a solution for a heater. I need to keep it pretty stealth!!
    Slick Willy

10. wait the insulation made it 10-15 degrees warmer ?! That's some serious insulation you got there. Can we get a pic?