Help improve my cure!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by DankDolph, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Greetings forum! Sorry if this a bit long winded, just want to cover everything.

Just finished up my first harvest and I'm having a little trouble with my cure. Firstly, I'm doing a garage tent grow in Colorado. Throughout the grow my RH was around 35-50%.

I harvested by chopping branches off, did a wet trim and dried them on a hanging rack. I moved them in doors for the dry because it is very warm in the garage and I didn't want to run the AC to dry. They tried in 65 F weather with a RH of 45%. They dried for about 3-4 days before the branches just started to snap.

I then removed all the buds from the branches and put all the buds in a turkey bag. It's been 24 hours and the RH inside my bag hasn't gone above 55%.

Did I let my buds get too dry? I know 55% is a good long term cure RH, but I was expecting to be in the high 60s and burping the bag for a couple weeks.

Thanks for any insight and critical feedback! Love this forum!

2. Nah your good. Missing Colorado

• Like Like x 1
  3. You want to hang-dry until the branch feels like it's just almost going to snap in two...but doesn't. It's at that point you need to put your weed in Mason jars. Where did you come up with the turkey bag thing...that's first. LOL Just put it in plain old canning jars. Now if you've dried it out too much, there's not a lot of you can do for it. But you might try taking a tiny piece of lettuce and putting it inside the container with the smoke and leaving. The MJ will soak up the moisture out of lettuce or apple, etc. Curing is just something you have to learn by doing it. It's real easy to let your buds go too long and if you don't let them go long enough, you could end up with mold. But the jar thing is the best way I found to deal with curing. TWW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks for the replies guys! I had heard/read about people using Turkey bags for years, even before I started growing. Seemed like a practical solution when working solo with a few pounds to handle. But, like most things in life, "tried and true" methods are probably best.

After my RH didn't rise above 55% (40% outside bag) in a 24 hour period, I moved everything to Mason jars and did it the right way. The RH almost immediately increased to roughly 67%. So I've just been giving em that burp every day this week and it's very slowly but steadily going down. Was sitting at 63% last time I checked.

It appears everything worked out!

5. Just read about turkey bags. Was thinking I'd use paper bags. I had read a tutorial by rumpleforeskin? I think. Was thinking I'd dry in my grow cabinet after taking out lights. Should I have a fan in there? Still debating hang whole plant or hang branches. Or cut buds and dry on screen. Any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 Belhern, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    I started a thread about mason jars. In my opinion dry trim, dry until snap, brown paper for 2 weeks. That's with my humidity. Even if it was lower 50-55RH I still run the bags for much longer then normal and I'm very very specific about the jar itself. It's just what I find best for flavor aroma. Maybe I run the bags different I don't know. I hang mine in a couple sections whole branches in the tent, in direct airflow
    Curing and Burping Mason Jar Becaref
    It's just what I've seen in various places with people and curing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I would also like to add @The Widow White is absolutely right in this case. Personally I would have just run the turkey bags or paper.

8. Cleaned out my jars. (Salsa lol) waitin on my hairs to turn. Making sure trichs aren't red Ready with my chopper. Excited as first time Wish I had a humidity monitor. It's on my Amazon list. Just broke bought trim scissors this week and new loupe next week. Apparently I only have $10 a week for supplies

9. Congradulations bud. Invest in a little humidifier as well. Then you can control more. But cheers I'll finish this spliff for ya!

10. The south in July is plenty humid. Lol. I do have a de-humidifier though.

11. thought you where the dude from Colorado sorry, yeah I know it is...Lousiana in July holy shit

12. Yikes, Louisiana in July sounds like a hot mess.

And just read your post about jars @Belhern great info, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ain't as muggy as Louisiana. Lol. NC. I'm gonna stop this back and forth and just chop. Trichs ain't red. Hairs mostly red I guess. Should i put her in dark for two days first or is that just wives tale. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. No no don't chop that man...I can see it ain't ready. At least another week. No nutes plain water flushed x3 size of your pot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lol. Okie dokie smokie. Should I stop watering it?flush it? Put it in dark for three days? I hear so many diff things.

16. Doesn't help I'm on two forums. I repeat my dumbass a lot

17. PM me in about a week with a picture. I'm sure it will swell some still. 1-1.5 wks. Dark torture is subjective I do 24 hours 48 if she's bad. Flush it plain water from here on out try to bleed some of the N out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Is molasses feeding truth or myth. I've been blasting side buds with light to puff up lil buds one side little led panel one side 3-23 watt CFLs then rotating periodically didn't touch side buds as plant kinda sticky. Some of the lil side buds not as tiny as I thought lol. Really curious about yield

Attached Files:

19. Molasses is definitely not a myth, though it is miss understood. The molasses works my feeding the microbes in your soil that in turn help your plant uptake nutrients better it does not end up in the bud for sweetness or size. Your doing the right thing but for now I'd like to see your plant use up some of that green in the leaves. Chlorophyll is the enemy and we want that Nitrogen out. I'd say 1.5-2 more weeks straight water. What are you growing in?

20. Auto.NL in three gal nursery pot. Super generic potting soil that I was going to hook up with worn castings blood meal bone meal all that jazz but ran out of money so never did. So in short cheap potting soil. I started in a one liter bottle cut in half then transplanted it. (Shouldn't have done that for an auto) I was using 4-23w cfls and a 45watt led panel in a tiny mini fridge for two months then moved to a bigger cabinet and added a 600w led (272 actual). That perked it up. Used a tiny bit of organic tomato fert in beginning and started using DG bloom at about day 40 then gave it a break on that day 60-75? Used molasses in water every once in awhile . Been straight water lately .seems I made many missteps in the beginning so it's seems to be a small miracle I have what I do. Thinking for next grow keepin it simple and getting 1.5 cubic feet of fox farm ocean forest -should be enough for two three gallon pots and run auto ak's. I did find a tomato pot behind the house that has me thinking it would make for a cool lst to get light inside plant too. Inside of plant looks rough lol. Glad I waited. Seems fatter overnight.