Help! I'm confused about soil.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by hothrebel, Sep 2, 2019.

1. I will not be able to grow until January when I can buy a grow license.
    I have been reading alot. Is there not a pre-packaged soil that only requires watering that will work from seed to flower? Also will 1 20 gal smart pot be big enough for 2 plants?
    Thanks.

2. I wouldn't put two plants in a 20 gal, 30 or 40 gallons would be be best. You can find a good soil premixed organic soil, but I don't know about just water only, you would have to add some amendments at some point.
    HTH

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you do some decent research........since you have the time......on "organic growing"........that would be right up your alley........"water only" from seed to harvest I am unsure about....but it should quickly tell you in your research!

Happy growing

• Like Like x 2

4. the honest answer is 'no' for your pre-packaged soil question.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. you have a very common desire - a nice soil to make life easy for you that you can go out and buy and plant in and water only until harvest and life is easy in weedville....
    Yes, there ARE soils on the market marketed for exactly that. i could list a number of them off the top of my head, and can tell you I've FOOLISHLY actually spent money on these overpriced bagged soils.
    I've tried two different ones. One was "ok" at best, At least I really can't say TOO much bad about it, but in all honestly, not much good either, and even less when you considered the outrageous price for it. The other soil was so bad that i effectively wasted an entire 3-month grow for my meds. what little I had left of that stuff is at the bottom of my compost bin if memory serves.....

for what those "water only" from seed to harvest soils retail for you are MUCH, MUCH better building your own. That's what I ended up doing and my plants have never been happier and healthier and it IS a true water only soil to harvest if I wanted although I choose at time to add in a topdressing or a foliar spray now and than, but i'm even starting to reduce the number of those I'm doing - trying to get at minimalistic as possible.

You will spend the same, perhaps a small amount more, buying the ingredients to make your own soil, BUT you WILL end up with a much higher quality soil, you will know exactly what is in it so you know your plants will have everything they need to be happy, and you will still have leftover ingredients you can use for topdressings, building more future soils, etc.Bottom line is you are pretty much 99% assured you will end up with a better soil!

to build your own soil you can get easy soil recipe here: Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    or here - his recipe is on post two, but LOTS of excellent reading up to that point: Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. If u decide no till is hard right out the gate. Happy frog and add PERLITE if u decide to bottle feed lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Thanks folks. I am just afraid to mess up something if I make my own soil. I have more reading to do I guess.
    What would be the best size smart pot for 1 plant?
    Thanks.

8. For indoors, 20gallons seems to be the sweet spot for a single plant. Another option is to just get the biggest pot you can fit in your space then just figure out how many plants you can grow there.

• Like Like x 2