HELP! I know nothing about NUTRIENTS!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Nectar, Feb 15, 2007.

1. So I am going to begin my first grow soon, and I feel confident that I have researched enough to know what that I can get through this without too much trouble, except for on one topic...

NUTRIENTS!

I know I could grow a fine MJ plant without them, but I obviously want the most thriving, stickiest plant I can grow, and I hope nutrients can help make this happen.

I've tried to research nutrients and when to add them, but I can't get anything straight. All I read are clever brand names and numbers like 10-15-30, but no place I've read has explained what any of this means.

Can someone please explain to me:

1. What nutrients do I need?
    2. When I should start using each nutrient?
    3. How much of each nutrient I should be using?
    4. What brand I should get?
    5. What do these numbers mean?

Thanks a lot to whoever can enlighten me on this subject.

2. You can use nutrients from about the 2nd or 3rd week from germination untill the last 2 weeks untill harvest. The numbers is the NPK balance meaning what is in the soil. I recommend foxfarm nutrients, they are some of the best for organic growing and the amount to use all comes with the nutrients.

3. The 10-15-30 you see stands for NPK. N=Nitrogen P=Phosphorus K=Potassium. During early stages of growth, you need lots of Nitrogen and small amounts of P and K. Nitrogen is the first major element responsible for the vegetative growth of plants. With a good supply, plants grow sturdily and mature rapidly, with rich, dark green foliage. Phosphorus comes a little later. The second major element in plant nutrition, phosphorus is essential for healthy growth, strong roots, fruit and flower development, and greater resistance to disease. The third major plant nutrient, potassium oxide, is essential for the development of strong plants. It helps plants resist diseases, protects them from the cold and during dry weather by preventing excessive water loss. So for example a mix of 30-5-10 would be good for a young plant, while a mixture of 15-25-20 will be better for an older plant. When you want your plant to flower, give it lots of P and K, and switch the light cycle to 12/12. I wish Overgrow was still around, their GrowFAQ did wonders for me, and im sure it would help every grower on this site.

4. thanks guys