Help! I can't work for the man!

Discussion in 'General' started by VforBernardo, Apr 17, 2012.

1. It's not that I'm lazy. I am not. I just cannot stand leaving my children and wife alone everyday while I go sit in traffic for an hour a day and then slave retail style for 8 hours. The highlight of my day is a half hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. How can I break free?
    I have some skills gardening and I really like that. A family farm would be ideal but I don't have but a suburb lot to work with and still need to pay the banksters per month.
    There are a number of small businesses I could do like handy man or lawn care. But I'm scared I won't have enough income that way too. Help!

2. I know bro,We all wanna work or do the things we do best,Just hang in there I'm sure a job to your liking will come around,If I had my Super-Dispensery going I'd hire you:)

3. It's all about timing and the right job, and you'll probably just have to suck it up for awhile. It took me a long time of temping and unemployment to get the gig I have now, and I freaking love it - 5-6 hours a day starting at 6:00 AM running the phone board for the chillest dude I've had as a supervisor in a LONG time...in fact he BARELY supervises me since I'm 6 years older than he is - he respects my skill set and understands my personal life is more important than the job but he knows when I'm there I'm a professional in all things.

It pretty much rocks, but it is cold-calling in sales - which isn't for everyone. I fought it for the longest time, but I've given in to my natural abilities. I can sell like a motherfucker.

4. garden weed man

5. Welcome to the real world, sir. :p

Most people would prefer part time outside jobs, a family farm, family business, etc.

But most people don't ever get to do that. Most people end up having to slave away at shitty 9-5 jobs for decades on end to try to save up money for the chance that they might get to retire some day.

I'm sure most of us here would like to do handy-man or lawn-care stuff or own a farm or whatnot. But eventually you gotta face the fact that you're probably gonna be stuck doing a typical job just to get by like almost everyone else. :poke:

6. i agree man, it sucks that we have to be born into this world where we have to do what society has deemed is important, everything is decided for us. you think you have freedom of choice? yeah, you get to choose what job to waste your life away at. you get to choose where you trade your limited hours for a handful of change. if we dont agree with what society considers "normal" and try to live our own life we get in trouble. my morals are different than their morals, but for some reason they're better than me? why? why are their morals and rules superior to me? because i choose to LIVE my life and not WASTE my life? it's some bullshit.

7. You got mad selling skills,Huh!?.................Looks at "Wild" skeptically:smoking:
    Sell a black person a confederate flag! (BaM!)

8. Live of the land bruh

9. Does anyone know of any friends or family that work, let's say an "alternative" lifestyle wheres they work their own small businesses instead of a full time corporate job? That's what I want. Nothing illegal though as I have a family to take care of. But I've seen guys that do "handy man" work, lawn care, sell firewood, grow big garden, etc. What other jobs like that can someone patch together to make a living?

10. It would seem entirely possible to do so. I mean food is, after all, in most high demand. As long as we could encourage our friends and neibhors to buy food from us, then this would be a viable option. A little "seasonal" though.

11. Yea, i don't know. I mean there is something to be said for following your dreams instead of succumbing to mediocrity. For me, it's about maximizing happiness.

12. And this, my friends, is why I joined the Military at 18 and may possibly make a career out of it. Retiring at 38 sounds pretty good, but 20 years of working for the man sounds a little rough. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Boot Camp in 2 weeks, hooyah!