HELP! I can't get the temp down.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 42childrenmetal, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I'm having some problems with keeping the temp. and humidity where I need them in my grow box. I have two little household fans and a 4" centrifugal exhaust fan. I can't seem to get the temp. much lower than 85 and I can't get the humidity above the high 30% range. I have some pics, please help me out I don't wanna burn my babies.

[​IMG]

this is the exhaust fan and carbon filter.

[​IMG]

heres the fans, intakes, and plants

[​IMG]

this is what my thermometer/hygrometer said at about 11:00

2. They will grow at that temp, you tried opening the doors for a few hours a day?

3. to increase the humidity a bit you can put some glasses of water in there. 85f isn't ideal but they'll be ok until you can figure out how to get some cold air in there.

4. Thanks for the tips. I threw some 3 solo cups half full of water in there to see if the humidity will go up. Would an intake fan help substantially?

5. freeze a gallon of water and put it in there, change out as it melts that should help drop the temps alot, but waht kinda lights do you have in there? what exhuast fans do you have?

6. cool air from ground level being forced inside might cool it,i dont know what cfm ur 4 inch is but i would invest in a 6 inch duct exhaust than put a y adaptor on it so it will suck more air out of it useing two flexible ducts,if u have a small cooler with a lid on it u can put some dry ice inside which might cool it down and give ur plants oxygen from it

7. my veg cab looks just like yours and about the same size.

here are a few things I have tweaked in the last year or so to keep temps in check.

I have a 5" computer fan for the exhaust that is rated @ 100cfm. I also had the same two intakes as you, same size too. It wasn't enough. I ordered a 8" x 8" darkroom louver from adorama and installed it between my intakes. That lowered temps 7-8 degrees due to much needed increased air flow. my room temp is 72-73f and my veg cab with doors closed runs 3 degrees above room temp. if I had to build all over again, I would use 2 adorama dark room louvers instead of the pvc intakes. saves room inside too.

I do not use this cab for flowering so there was no need for a carbon filter on mine. I would think you wouldnt need one either until you start to flower. that is when the plants put off their delicious aroma. removing your odorsok for now will increase air flow. your 4" vortex will move plenty of air thru that cab if you increase the intake size as suggested.

with all this being said, your 84f temp is ok for growing. especially as small as your plants are. they like warm temps when young. those circulating fans are a heat source inside your cab as well. I bet if you turned off your 2 small circulating fans, you would see your temps drop quite a bit. you will be surprised how much heat those little fans put out. try it out and see if this is the case. if it is, you could put your fans on a timer on and off every 15 or 30 minutes. 1 of those fans is plenty for circulation in there for now as your plants are in the seedling stage.

to increase humididty, place a bowl of water in there and let a fan blow over it.

hope this helps.

linedrivr

8. Hey guys, all this stuff is awesome! I like the frozen gallon of water idea and I took the odorsok off the exhaust. I don't have a gallon of water right now but I put some ice cubes in solo cups and replaced the cups of water with the cups of ice. Also would Lowes or Home Depot have something like the adorama dark room louvers? Its pretty much just an intake for household A/C right? Thanks again for the tips. Peace.

9. so build a co2 reactor and get a big ass sponge(s) I don't recommend any still water, if any bugs thats a breeding ground right?

also

whats ambient air temp?
    if room temps much above 79* box temp could easily be 84-90* Idk A.C. worked for me but that was a little pricey ($145AUD).

pc

10. Hey dopehead, yea I was kind of already considering a window unit for my bedroom because its the hottest room in my house. It's easily 79 or 80 in my room maybe even hotter. What do you mean a CO2 reactor? Let me know because none of the things I tried today managed to get the temp down or humidity up. I'm going to try the frozen gallon of water tomorrow. I'm really having a problem with humidity it keeps going down. its at 32% now! thanks for all the ideas, keep em flowin and keep tokin.

11. how does your venting system work? i know the odorsok will slow air flow but i dont think its enough to severly impact heat, best too leave it off for a few weeks till heat stabilizes and until the plants smell i dunno what your growing but my WW smell at 2 weeks from seed. now if you could build a intake that goes into a small box with alot of ice pulling all that cool air into the box at the bottem with just a vent hole in the top of the box to release the hot air since hot air rises.

now that i think of it a 12x12x12 insulated cooler like box could hold 3 or so gallons of frozen water hooked up too an air intake that dumps all that cold air into the grow cab and depending on how well that works you may only have to run the fan every 3 hours or so.

all almost forgot about the odorsok a grower about 6 months back called mordgrow got popped for everything reeking he was using a odorsok but he had literal trees in the closet but i think you will be fine.

12. where did u get your carbon filter?

13. Valley, thanks for the tips I just got back from vacation but I didn't get to try that cooler idea. I am getting a free A/C window unit though so I'm going to see if that fixes my problem. AKH, I got my carbon filter from some hydroponics store online. I can find the name of the site tomorrow but it's on another computer. You can probably find it on various online hydroponic stores or the amazing ebay. I'll post the results of the window unit later tomorrow or the next day.

14. sweet about the window A/C unit but hopefully light doesnt leak out of the window giving you away, after i thought about it i thought that you could get a regular old cooler cut a duct hole in it and put frozen water bottles in it, and a fan pulling the cold air out, some coolers can keep things frozen for 5 days soo thats kinda a nice idea.