HELP!! Hydro PH won't stay down after it is adjusted to 6.0!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr_Green, Mar 16, 2010.

1. I am using 6.0 PH soaked rockwool cubes, hydroton, "general hydroponics" PH down solution, tap water and 25ml of each DNF gro A&B in 16 gallons of water. My plants are babies. Please help they are dying. :( After the PH is adjusted to 6.0 it shoots back up to roughly 8.0 in a short time.

2. Tap water often contains many alkaline minerals that will make it tough to lower your pH. Also, if your water is salt-softened, your plants will not survive. Get some reverse osmosis or distilled water from the local supermarket and you will get much better results. good luck. peace

3. TY for your response, my water is salt softened. Anybody know how much it will cost to purchase 30 gallons of distilled water? what kind of container should i put it in? Is there anything i can do to the tap water to make adequate for hydro growing?

4. 30 gal of distilled can be purchased for about .50 to $1 per gallon at the supermarket but I would suggest using the water dispensers that are found outside many supermarkets. These have ro water which is great and free of any minerals and usually costs about .25 per gallon. You need to use your own container for these so you can get 5 to 8 gallon jugs at walmart that work great. They are usually found in the camping department. Good luck

5. Looks like I'm gonna have to get to the store before my babies go way too early. This was supposed to be more of a covert operation but im gonna have to haul the water into the house :O. Went this far can't back out now!!! Shoulda done more research... DOH! TY for the help btw doc.

6. Use an air stone in your tank, it will burn of chlorine and other small elements. Your piping might be old and contain sediment. Your pump could have metal parts in it that would instantly raise the pH. Any metal in the water, or has water running off of it will raise the pH. Make sure your grow is metal free. Some sealants contain chemicals that can raise the pH. If your media (ia: hydroton) was not rinsed properly, there could be some trace elements that could attribute to slightened pH, but not the cause for your pH increase that rapidly.

I think there is metal somewhere in your tank or system. That would definetly cause pH to fluxuate that fast. Is your tank light tight? Do you have an Airstone?

Suggestion: buy a brita faucet attachment. Its much cheaper long run.

7. 1st I will respect the Dr's opinion and change the water, if that does'nt work i will investigate other possible causes. I will update accordingly. thanks for all the help. I love this site!

8. Yesterday i built a new smaller reservoir for the 2 week old youngsters, filled it with 4 gallons of RO water, a light nutrient solution and adjusted the PH to 6.0 n let em swim. Today i am happy to report they are doing much better from their pale lifeless green appearence and are getting a lush green color back! the ph only rises a much more manageable .1 an hour now which in probably still a negative but is easily tamed by a few drops of PH down. Any more tips and input would be highly appreciated. Thanks all