help! hot hot hot!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rfinn65, Mar 1, 2013.

1. need some serious advice i have a 3x3x5ft tent with a 430w hps in it ; i also have an inline vent system setup tp draw the heat off the light but i canrt get the tent below 83-82 degrees any suggestions would be greatly appreciated dont want my seedlings to die

2. pics of your setup would be helpful..

do you have a fan for intake??
    do you have a fan for exhaust??
    do you have a fan for circulation??
    what is your humidity %??
    Does your HPS have a cooltube? or a heat shield??

3. Where are you venting that hot air? If it's going back into the room its in then thats the problem. You need to get that hot air outside (safely) or into an attic/another room/etc

4. ok i have a fan that vents up thru my chimmney to the outside what it does is suck the room air across the light like a cool tube set up my hood has two 6 inch holes on either side of it which i have flex duct attched to each end . so one end is on the outside and bring air across the light with the help of a centrifugal fan that draws the heat and then pushes it up and out my chimmney via more flex tube . so in short flex tube on both ends then to fan and up and out . i have a small fan in the tent thats supposed to move the air around inside. humidity is at 41%. i will post pics asap taking some now

5. I like low 80's for growth. It would be nice to be able to control it better but those temperatures certainly won't hurt anything. Cannabis thrives in those temperatures.

J

6. ok i hope these photos are clear enough for you to offer some sound advice lol

Attached Files:

7. now the temp was only 78.2 because i had the tent open to take the photos of the inside usually the temp is like i said 82-83 degrees :(

8. i know the 80 temps are going to be to high for flowering

9. maybe an inline fan pumping air INTO the light at a lower cfm than the outtake?

10. i bring in cold air across the light(in a cool tube) then outside, this helps quite a bit. if you are sucking in hot air across the light, you arent really cooling anything down much. i only have about a 3F-5F temp increase with a 600w hps in a 4x4 tent. during the summer its a different story, as it is harder to find a cool/cold area to draw air from.

11. Remove the 'intake' duct, allow the fan to pull air from the tent through your hood. Open a couple vents on the tent, air will come in from vent circulate a little and get sucked out through hood. Assuming the temps outside the tent are below 85 degrees, this should lower the overall temps. I've setup several of similar tents this way, and all have great results. Let us know how it works out :D Good Luck

12. OMFG ! ThurgoodJnkinz

Thank you soooo much I never thought of that and it work like a charm the temp went from 83 degrees to 78 almost immediately ! and it is holding at 78 . I cant believe i never even thought of that thank you sooo much awesome avdvice ! I am once again a happy gardener :) now 76.8 my inside temp of the room is 73 so that should be okay right?

13. so all the cooling you had was just pulling air across the light from outside of the room and nothing pulling air from inside the tent?

i run 2 exhausts for my tent 1 is solely to keep the light cool. bring cold air in across the light and back out and dont need to scrub the air from that. then the other exhaust pulls from a carbon filter hanging in my tent and exhausts outside.

congrats you got it figured out :) 76F-78F is my sweet spot and always aim for that for best growth.

14. I kinda had the same problem yet with a 1000w HPS in a small closet. The main problems with overwatting/overheating for a space are exhausting hot air from the light and bringing in cooler air.
    Intake:
    You plants will need fresh air and hopefully that air can be cooler and also serve the purpose to cool down your tent. If the air temp outside the tent is cool, then you can just use passive intake to do this. By removing that intake ducting you have now, you will be creating a suction in the tent and it will intake fresh air from your passive intake holes.
    If you can control the climate in the surrounding room, then lower your AC (or use less heat) and watch those temps inside the tent drop.
    Exhaust:
    Try and reduce all those bends you have in your ducting.
    Remove that intake ducting you have leading to your light. Allow the air you are exhausting to come from inside the hot tent. It's just exhausting cooler air, not your hot air inside the tent.
    Make sure your exhaust fan is rated to the size of your tent. It is prob fine. You want it to be rated to replace the air in your tent every 3-5 min. This is especially true with a high wattage light.
    I found that my inline fan pushes air much more efficiently than it pulls. Therefore, I placed it infront of my light/cooltube and had it push air from the room through the cooltube and out to my attic (in your case the chimney). If you do this, use ducting to go from fan to cooltube and don't directly connect fan to it. (fan vibrates too much to be directly connected to light). Try the previous suggestions before you move your fan around.
    Keep us updated and goodluck. Look at the bright side which is you will learn a lot from this process

15. try runing in your air from out side thats what I do.. also I run at night so the cool air helps.. also try to get more cfms going out then coming in and watch your temps.. good luck

16. Your tent should look all sucked up when working properly....negative pressure pulling through the bottom vent......and all you need is the blower you got.

17. I have a similar problem... Interested to hear solutions!!!

18. Theres you solution.

Keep tent open

19. Agreed. But if for some reason you don't want to keep your tent open then refer to my post above and try those methods. I think they'll work for you.
    In the future if you do keep the tent open then you will probably run into odor concerns. If you're not concerned with smell then just keep yet open but if you are then try the methods I described.

20. I might be wrong here but I think it comes down to physics.. You need your fan near the exhaust pulling air from an intake filter in your grow room, not pushing air. You have to pull the air not push it and have your fan at the exhaust no the intake..

The reverse is true with liquids. Like in a well pump you need to push fluid from a pump under the ground you cant pull it up with a pump in your house..

Ya, I'm almost certain that I remember my professor explaining that these two were equal but opposite..

Put your fan at the exhaust blowing out and I bet your temp will drop 10 degrees..