HELP! Had to harvest early- Emergency question!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by blairsie420, Sep 22, 2010.

1. #1 blairsie420, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    Hey peeps...

So I hsd to trim quite a lot of my buds early today due to them being ruined by caterpillars.
    I'm a first time grower so bear with me if this is a dumb question, but..

I sprayed them with Spinosad about 3 days ago, and Azamax last night, since they still had over 2 weeks of flowering I didn't think I was going to harvest any time soon.

But I found a big ass caterpillar burrowed deep into my bud, it was ruining it, so I cut it, and a bunch more buds off when I found more damage.

My question is:

What can I do about the fact that I just sprayed them with pesticides?
    I want to know if it would be ok to rinse the trimmed buds really well, or spray them with water from the bottle with somewhat high pressure to rinse the pesticides off the buds.
    ???

I was thinking to do that then let them dry in the sun before putting into a paper bag.

Will this help or just fuck up my buds somehow?

I literally have them sitting on the table waiting to know what I should do to make this bud safe to smoke.

If I can't wash the Azamax off how dangerous do you think it is to smoke the buds if it was sprayed less than 24 hrs ago?

Please help......... THANKS!!!

2. hey i would recommend make some sort of hash with it idk if i would risk it, i would probably make bho and qwiso

3. Make some QWISO, bubble hash or bho...don't smoke the buds because you stand a good chance to do serious damage to your lungs. Sorry to hear about your issues...these corn borers do suck but if you keep at killing them off they are controllable...

Go read the ingredients that you just sprayed on your plants and see if you would smoke any of those individually without issue...I bet that at least 2 of them will say harmful if inhaled...many pesticides will attack the nervous system of bugs and you smoking those has the potential to do the same to you.

4. I would place in cool water for about one hour lots of water drane well then QWISO

5. This sounds like a good idea. Put it in cold tap water in the fridge for a few hours or days and they dry and cure as normal. Hopefully the pesticides are water soluable or at least partially. Cold water curing is the same thing but for many days I think.

6. Thanks to everyone who responded! :)

Well, I did spray them off but didn't let soak, by the time I got the first response they were already in the drying process... it's not much bud, a couple grams. I will let it cure for a while then probably throw it in with the rest of my trimmings when I harvest in about 12 days.

One other question I have is: If I use it to make hash or any other concentrate, does that process eliminate the pesticides left on them? Maybe because it gets heated up?

The other thing is that I've never made hash, bubble hash, honey oil or QWISO.. had never heard of that least one. I've looked up how to make them all online and there are a lot of variations... can someone tell me which method is the easiest one?

I basically have to inspect each plant every day now. It sucks so bad because I know they burrow deep so I feel awful mangling my buds, having to pull the leaves apart and I know crystals are coming off :( Also it is so damn sticky, it's just a real bitch! Caterpillars suck ass.

My Bubba Kush was the last to flower, so it's buds are not very dense and so far I have not found one caterpillar on that one. I was so pissed the other day I ordered a bunch of grow stuff online because my plan was to move them all indoors, however my friend told me not to do that. Something about them contaminating something.. I don't know. I ordered a GL-80 grow tent and an 8 bulb t5 fixture, & red & blue bulbs. I can't afford for my electric bill to go up too much which is why I chose fluorescents.

Anyway do you guys think it would be cool to move at least the Bubba inside as long as it's caterpillar free? I know I'd have to put the light on for about 8 hours since that's the most sun it's been getting outside & I want to keep the light cycle the same. I'd really like that one to go longer, it needs about another month and I'd much rather salvage the one plant that appears un-infested and let it flower longer in a controlled environment...

Let me know what you think.... thanks so much :)

7. ANY time you bring a plant from outdoors to indoors you have risk of bringing "something" in with it. It might be something that flourishes in the closed environment of a grow tent but was under control outdoors. Caterpillar eggs for instance?

This is exactly why your buddy was against bringing them inside. You will bring both good and bad insects with the dirt alone. I had a house plant outside for the summer and after we brought it inside I noticed this strange trail of something on the our new laminate flooring, so I followed this trail back to the planter that had come in several days ago. So I followed it the other way and at the end of a long winding trail under the dresser I found a desiccated slug! UGH! Nuff Said about bringing ANYTHING inside from outside?

If you felt you had to bring it in then I would not have any other grows going on in the tent and after the harvest you completely empty and sterilize the tent and all items in it before starting a new grow in there.

8. im having the same problem except im dealing with the little bastards i just kill them when i see them:devious:
    butim having to harvest early too its sooo fuckin lame. also trimming is a beezy the catipillars ate through the stems so parts are dry and crumble when touched

9. Hey thanks man, well I'm definitely not bringing in the 3 plants I know have the caterpillars, I'm just dealing with it day by day.. haven't really seen any more but that doesn't mean they aren't there... I'm misting them a lot to hopefully rinse the pesticides off. I still have not seen any worms on the Bubba Kush so I might bring it inside soon... but it will be the only plant I've got growing and I will spray the tent with alcohol when it's done.

The questions I have are:

1. Is is better to spray them with water in the morning or as soon as the sun goes down?

2. What is the easiest method as far as hash/qwiso etc... easiest & most effective for getting the pesticides off the buds I trimmed early?

thanks! :)

10. Aw that sucks man I feel your pain trust me. I'm sticking to indoor growing from now on.
    Most of the posts I see about these little bastards are also from other people in SoCal, I guess it's a real problem in this area... :mad: I'd never grown before so didn't know what to expect. It just sucks, I've grown these plants from seeds and put so much care & love into them, and to see em getting eaten by these things at the most crucial time has me bummed out. You live & learn I guess.

11. yeah that's sad but can you imagine how high that fat ass caterpillar must of been :smoke:

12. Both Qwiso and/or BHO will filter out the pesticide problems, and depending on what equipment you already have, I personally would recommend BHO as the butane does deal with many issues, including molds and mildew. If the plants become moldy you want to use a 2-3 micron filter, after adding ethanol to decarboxylize the THC as BHO made from flowers with all milky trichomes (especially Sativa's) are so concentrated that mauch THC can and will cause panic attacks. Plus boiling the BHO in ethanol at 195-200 degrees (F) purges the microscopic butane molecules.

My particular method for BHO is to make the extraction, then mix with 198 proof "Everclear" or USP grade ethanol. Place it over night in the freezer, and the next day there will be a big ball of "wax" along with a great deal of the chlorophyll in the bottom to remove...this will also eliminate the "tightness" some experience from oil that has not had the waxes removed. After "winterizing" the oil/ethanol mixture, using a fondue pot with olive oil in it, cook off the alcohol at 196-200 degrees until the remaining oil sits smooth and still, which indicates the alcohol has been completely boiled away, and also takes the anxiety and/or panic attacks from highly concentrated THC. Once the oil has gotten to the consistency you want, you're ready to go!

If you intend to ingest the oil, (especially for newbies) you may want to mix it while still hot into virgin coconut oil, then bottle into a vial with an eyedropper to control the dosage better. If you leave the oil (straight or mixed) in a brown or blue vial, leave the vial in direct sunlight or under incandescent light, and in a week or two the "green" from the chlorophyll will degrade and turn into a nice golden to dark brown color. There's a great sticky on making Holy Anointing Oil (HAO) which is from the biblical recipe using coconut oils, cinnamon leaf and bark oils and myrhh along with a high-grade cinnamon candy flavoring, to make a wonderful sublingual oil.

Hope that helps...if I can be of any help, let me know.