Help for a beginner

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vvinnccenntt, May 9, 2012.

1. Hey all I am a very new grower I only have 4 plants under my belt. But I'm looking at stepping it up a bit here I would like to start producing around 2 pounds every couple months if possible I don't know what that equates out to in plant numbers, like I said I'm very new at this. I have a general idea of how everything works I just don't know everything that I need for a grow room and the size isn't really a problem for now but as usual the smaller the better and the quicker/bigger the yield the better as well. Hope to hear back soon from someone

2. Imo flower room with a 4 bucket RDWC under a 3x3 scrog with a 600w hps/mh light with hood extraction,
    veg/LST room , rubber maid tub with 5 holes cut in the top the same size of your netpots in the flower room, 2 x 10'' air stones , i put a heat tray under mine to keep the nutes & roots warm as i only use one 4' tube for light , clones go at the other end of the light also on a heat tray.

now if you have the room for 2 3x3 scrogs and are willing to put the time and money into it you will easy get your target+ .

read all you can on ph and ec/ppm and perpetual grows
    good luck middy

3. #3 Bongsauce, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
    for 2 pounds every 2 months I'd go with a bunch of clones of a single high yielding strain like ak-47 or critical mass..etc. I'd do 2x 600w hps side by side over a 3x6 or 4x8 area..bout 9 plants under each light in smartpots of coco. Top each clone a few times in early veg and put em into flower when they're about a foot tall and nice and bushy.

You'd also need a small veg/clone area to keep the cycle going...I was running 2x 1000w hps in a 8x6 room and supplying it with only about 200w of veg lights in a small cabinet and I was able to keep up as long as cloning went smoothly.

your first step (IMO) should be setting up your small veg area...box, closet w/e and getting a nice solid mother plant to work with or start popping seeds immediately. While you're vegging out the mother and cloning you can be working on getting the larger room prepared.

4. what do you think I could expect if I was running a 4'x4'x6.5' 15 site RDWC with 1x 1000w HPS for my flowering area and for my veg/clone run a rubber maid tub RDWC for that? Also I'm kinda new to the more in depth techniques could you explain a little bit about ScROG? I know what it stands for just have no idea the concept/practice behind it.

5. [quote name='"vvinnccenntt"']what do you think I could expect if I was running a 4'x4'x6.5' 15 site RDWC with 1x 1000w HPS for my flowering area and for my veg/clone run a rubber maid tub RDWC for that? Also I'm kinda new to the more in depth techniques could you explain a little bit about ScROG? I know what it stands for just have no idea the concept/practice behind it.[/quote]

Google my friend

6. I have been using google that's why I came to this website is cuz I'm a beginner like I said :/ and every website I go to has different answers. Thats why I was posting in a forum where people have experience and I could get a direct answer instead of taking a stab in the dark with how much money I am going to be needing to spend. That's why I was asking.

7. look up greenmonster714 on GC he has a good thread on scroging,
    also a 4 x 8 scrog would need 2 x 1000w lights,
    i use 2 x 600w with a ''light rail'' mover over a 3.5 x 8 scrog, 8 bucket rdwc

8. I'd say under a single 1k light you'll pull 1-2 pounds on the first run if it goes smoothly. Less then a pound, more research needs to be done.

I don't mean to sound rude, but use the hell outta the search function....click on search/advanced search and 'search titles only' it will pull up any threads with the keywords in the title. I started from scratch and still research and search out threads everyday. every day. Everything I know about growing has come from these forums...everything I've read is still sitting there waiting for someone else to read it ;) You'll learn way faster by actively seeking out the answers....trust me every question you could think to ask has already been answered somewhere on the forums.

I'll be happy to help with w/e though..lol

9. Nah you're good sauce I didn't find the search tool until after I posted that. Also the grow area is not 4ft long 8ft wide its 4ft wide 4ft long and 8ft tall would I still need 2x1000w? I thought I would only need one.

10. It's also going to be having mylar on the inside

11. oh I got mixed up or w/e ... 1000w should cover a 4x4 perfectly.

12. So with that how much do you think I would be bringing in?

13. .....

14. ah okay I thought that may have been for the 4x8 my bad haha now we're even :p

15. What would you think of something like this sauce is this worth the money? Sunlight Solutions

If I piece it out and build it all myself i wont have to pay as much but then i have the paranoia of wondering if I missed something vital.

16. I only think it's a good deal if you have absolutely no building skills.

I dunno that a complex system is best for a beginner though. I'd recommend starting out with a simple system and upgrade it as you learn. If you get an expensive system and it doesn't work out the first run it can be pretty tough to want to continue.

17. Well I've done a lot of research like I know how different hydro systems work and I had decided that I wanted to go with a RDWC. But the thing is that I don't wanna eff up on nutrients or airflow or air filtering. That's what I'm paranoid about.

18. the only way to ''eff up on nutrients'' is by NOT getting a EC/ppm meter or a PH meter, just remember with seeds NO nutes are needed untill the first pair of small round leaves have gone yellow or fallen off and 1/4 of the recomended nute dose on the bottle when you start feeding nutes ,
    bring up the EC/ppm slowly, and ANY tips of the leaves that start to show burning bring the ec/ppm down ASAP by adding plain water then give her a day or three on that ec/ppm and then start to bring up the ec/ppm by around 100ppm a day/2days until you reach your level
    read the DIY SECTION on airflow, lots of info.
    hth middy

19. indeed! cuz nutes is the biggest thing i'm worried. it goes nutes smell proofing then heat

20. VVinnccenntt,

As a new grower, without much experience, you might get a pound in your first grow, if all goes well. As you get better, you ought to be able to pull 2 from a 1k light.

If you want the epitome of efficiency, and want a couple ell bees per month, the best way to do that is to use a rotary garden. Something like the Volksgarden. You could pull a couple pounds with a 600w HPS light, but it requires very high number of small plants. If you had three Volksgardens, and 600w lights, you could easily pull an average of 2 pounds a month. a week in veg and 2 months in flower, you could stagger start each crop.

If I wasn't limited to a low number of plants, I'd be running these systems, personally. It's a total no-brainer.