Help First time grow with 400 watt hps

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Developmind, Aug 13, 2011.

1. You could get some deficiencies in the plants and need to flush the soil, meaning the soil wont have many nutes in it at all, and you'll need veg nutes. Or in flower you're plants could use some N and will show sign and want some nice veg nutes. To be safe and to grow appropriately and safely, buy some cheap veg nutes if you can find em online. Fox farms/blue mtn organics, etc. Not a necessity, but you'll need them later on for sick plants or for Mother plants to take clones from or something.

Dont know the size of that trash can or flower pot but its fine. You want a minimum of like 3 gallons, Im using 1.8-2.2 gallons because Im growing autoflowering strains at the moment that stay small and grow/faster very fast but arent as potent they say as normal photoperiod strains.

You're closets below the attic? I'd hope so.. lol.. You're saying its do-able to cut holes and get the fan? You might be in business if so.

Yep, light leaks escaping the closet will attract attention, and will be a dark yellow orange hue and people associate that bright ass light and color to growing instantly if seen. AND most importantly, when the plants are sleeping (lights off period) you cannot have light leaks from the room into the closet. The closet needs to be light proof. If light leaks it will fuck with the photoperiod, and can hermie or male on you.

Believe me, I got 2 small little girls in a dresser that are Autos, and the 1 smells already at 35 days old. The stink is getting through my DIY carbon filter. (Most likely because the carbon rocks have been in there since I started testing temps and humidity in the dresser after assembling, editing, painting, and cutting holes for passive intakes and ducting. When you have that kill dank bud and it smells through a bag or 2, and stinks up a room for a while when smoked, it will be like that x10 with fat flowering plants Im guessing. My room smells like it!

Good luck, and let us know what you're planning on buying before purchasing. Peace.

-Kushed

2. So how long can I have them in a party cup?
    Will do

3. Dont exactly know, based on how fast and tall they get I'd guess around by the 4th 5th set of leaves, maybe around 6-9 inches, around 2.5 weeks. Thats just a guess and from info on Google and GrassCity.

4. Man I really appreciate your help
    Like really man thanks . I know it must be annoying.
    I'm gonna order a 6"cool-able reflector

5. Its fine dude, I enjoy it. I wanna see you start up and enjoy it, plus you're from my home state. I brush up on stuff I forgot while researching a year ago. A year ago this time I was fucking around with my closet and couldn't cut nothing, so finally a year later and I got my first few plants going in a stealthy little dresser. 2 plants have deficiencies or salt build up from the bad water I have, and you might as well, and from low humidity or pH swings. Something along those lines. The 3rd is only 3-4 days old and is looking alright.

Doing some research on hoods? I hear you on that. Coolable hood meaning you're going to pull cold air in and push right out of it without much heat at all getting near the plants? <-- Thats probably your best bet or a cool tube to not have to worry about heat. Plants get heat stress at anywhere past like 80-83 degrees, keep that in mind. but that means you'll need another fan, even a weak one will work for pulling air in and out of the dresser, because the light/hood will have its own venting/cooling going on. Or you're just going to use 1 side for ducting and the other for pulling air through and out of the dresser? Post a picture of your closet, take a few pics. We'll see what we can do in Paint program to see how shit will fit into place and whatnot.

And I don't know if you answered or not, but you have central cooling or a window air conditioner very close? It might be neccesary. When my room temp hits above around 74 the dressers temps hit 79-81 degrees so I have to keep the room under 72-69 degrees at all times when the HPS is on.

-Kushed

6. #26 SmokinSourD, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
    deleted

7. #27 Developmind, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I hope to see it start and finish :)
    Man sounds like you know what your doing . Yeah I took your advice and looked it up. I think I'm gonna use 1 fan for now. No I just have a fan the vent in my room is other side of room.
    I will post some pics

8. Im pretty sure my air conditioner just cycles the air instead of pulling in fresh air. It takes my somewhat hot air and cycles it through repeatedly until its cold, then it calms down because of Energy Saver, then comes back on when temps get too high. That could all be wrong what I just wrote, but I used to blaze and smoke 1 cigarette in the room and you cant smell nothing. Now I'm blazing in there only, no cigarettes or cigarette smoke anywhere near the plants, and it takes HOURs upon hours to cycle enough air around to get rid of the stank. Its like the air is just being pulled from the room and back into the room at a cooler temp. So im not sure about the answer to your question. Definitely people put portable ACs and stuff in the cabs and rooms, and some even put wall ACs in there tents and cabs and rooms. So for sure you can put an AC in the closet, but where will you make a huge square space to put an AC in a closet? Plus it needs somewhere to drain and all that good stuff.

:smoking: Im medicated, don't know if I just made sense.

Develop, a portable AC should be on the future shopping list, same with me! I want one so bad, but they're expensive and wont look normal sitting next to my dresser running always. $200+ new I believe, craigslist might have some for $150 but you never know how they run. Portable ACs are cool, somewhat energy efficient compared to old window AC, and they have a 4" plastic duct that you can run where ever you want to cool and a little hose or tray for the drain water that you can run wherever and empty when full.

9. image-3917275244.png

Closet

Attached Files:

10. Cut a hole in the ceiling and mount that fan blowing up into the attic. This will cause a vacuum and suck cool air from under the door. And cool tubes r the shit if want to use hid lighting in a closet grow.

11. Check my journal I'm running a 600 and a 400 in my closet w no heat prob but I'm using cool tubes as well

12. image-3473094317.png

Better idea of closet size
    2 slide door closet
    One pic is of left side of closet
    And other right side where I'm gonna put the plant
    What do you guys think???

Attached Files:

13. If your gonna be putting "The Plant" on one side then i think your 400 is gonna be overkill. Me personally would utilize the entire closet. Say.... Keep your right side shelving but separate with a light proof curtain and use some T5s to veg a few moms on the lower shelving, and cuttings on the upper shelving where temps would be warmer. Put 2 hempy buckets on the left side with that 400 pumping down along with some FIM and ScrOG and you could get say a pound a month on a rotating scale :p ahhhh. time for bowl hit

14. #34 Developmind, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    image-557893413.png

Set up for now
    Any comments? Concerns?

Attached Files:

15. Also what temp should I keep mostly and humidity
    75-85 degrees
    And 40-60% humidity

16. yeah sounds about right. I believe theres a little different when flowering but if you can keep your temps stable at that temp and humidity you should be doing fine.

17. okay im a new grower and iv been growin LEMON ICE outdoors for about 2 1/2 months and my plant is only a foot tall..Is that bad?

18. Could just be the pheno is Indica dominant, If its green and looks healthy you should be fine. Pics help alot here

19. okay i will post a pix 2marrow in the morning cuz i dont wanna interupt the darkness cuz itz goin thru the pre flowerin period i think lolz

20. Yep, its been a pain to say the least. Enough of one that I am buying a tent as soon as this grow is over.

However, I got my 424cfm 6" fan mounted up and powered on yesterday. It is venting to 6" flange that dumps in to my attic. Since then, I have been able to turn my a/c back up four degrees and my average temps are now staying right at 77. This son of a gun rips air through the closet like no one's business. Negative pressure is an understatement. It is by no means stealthy in the stock form though. Hopefully my filter will quite it down a little when it gets here, if not I will definitely be adding a fan controller.

Looks like your on the right track man, good luck with it!