Help - fan leaves brown and dry

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tamriel91, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Hey,

My pineapple chunk is 1 week in to flower and I can see there are some problems with some of the fan leaves. They are on 2ml/l bio bizz grow and 1ml/l bio bizz flower.

Anyway, here are the pictures-

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414887773.803158.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414887790.020327.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414887802.337858.jpg

Do any of you know what could be causing it! Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any extra info.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Bump!

3. #3 fearnoevil, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
    I had a similar problem with my last crop, started about a month before harvest but fortunately I was able to finish, but yields and bud size definitely suffered from the damage to the fan leaves.  Then ALL my month old clones, 32 in all, succumbed to this and I ended up tossing the lot!!! :mad:  :cry:  :confused:   I'd sure like to know what it is and what needs to be done to make sure it doesn't come back.  New seeds just arrived but until I can be sure how to prevent this, I'm in a holding pattern.  

4. #4 fearnoevil, Nov 3, 2014
    And no it's not nute burn you morons....  Sorry, but that's for all the knuckleheads who chime in on almost EVERY thread about sick plants to tell you it's just that and that a simple flush will fix everything, and you know who you are, lol.  Carry on ;?D

5. Crappy soil , crappy water or both.

6. The soil is bio bizz soil and should be fine, what do you mean by crappy water? What constitutes crap water and what can I do to remedy it?

Thanks

7. Crappy water could mean that it's ph is out of whack mate....if it is, then the plant won't be able to absorb the nutes correctly, which in turn leads to nute deficiency.....also, if it's tap water you are using, are you letting it sit for 24 hours to evaporate the chlorine?. 

I would suggest a ph'd flush initially bro (if that makes me a moron, I'll live with it).....then switching to just the biobiz bloom, at a week into flower it should be ready for all bloom nutes. :) 

8. Sweet thanks mate, I was thinking I may have a ph issue and no I have not been leaving it but will do so from now on. I have just given the plants a little bit of Epsom salts as I think I have a calmag deficiency - would I have to give them the Epsom salts again after the ph'ed flush?

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated lots to learn for first grow!

9. No worries bro, and yeah, another dose of salts along with the bloom nutes day or two after the flush, then the plant should be able to get the full benefit of the additional cal/mag if it was a ph issue causing lockout. :)

10. #10 snoopdog6502, Nov 3, 2014

Some people have water that ph 8.0 and 300 PPM right from the tap. If its just chlorine then sitting out a day will get the worst of it and as chlorine is alkali the water PH will drop to a level that is more acceptable.  Choline will cause PH fluctuation that are hard to deal with.

I grow hydro and have good water PH 7.2  40PPM, by the time I add my nutes end up with PH 5.8 900PPM for the blooming plants.

Not wanting to start a debate but soil is a guessing game where hydro I have absolute control. I can have plants in all new solution in 5 minutes.

11. Yeah I was thinking about hydro but wanted to give it a go in soil for my first grow would consider it for future grows. I'll give all the steps above a go and hopefully it will sort itself out.

Thanks lads, much appreciated!

12. #12 fearnoevil, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
    Never mind, it's hopeless....

13. I also had the same exact proble as the OP, it affects lower growth first and they will just fall off. . I was using tap water and i know i tap water is hard, 250ppm from tap and i get calcium build-up on my faucets and only after 1 week my humidifier looks like crystal meth in some places thats how bad it is, my yields suffered. This run only distilled water with cal-mag added and not problem. I was using FF happy frog, then transplant to ocean forest with worm castings, perlite, vermiculite, and lime and i use the same soil now but only changed my water. An if i recall correctly i think its a phosohorus deficiency.

Attached Files: