Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

HELP!!! Emulsified my coconut oil and water...!!!!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ThickPalmz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Howdy everybody,

New to the forum here, I've been reading articles for years but never actually here posting. So I've regularly made high dosage treats for myself and friends, but here I am with a first time problem on my hands! A friend recently told me about water washing your oil to get a lot of the clorophyl flavor out of products, which has worked before. Usually I do this after a 5-6 hour cook in a crockpot on low and have let the oil cool in the fridge for a day or so. This time I tried doing it while the oil and herb cooked, meaning I added water to the mix expecting to drain it at the end like normal. Unfortunately, I didn't put two and two together that the soy lecithin that I add to the mixer is an emulsifier, and now I am stuck with a good bit more final oil product than I was expecting because the oil and water has effectively mixed.

Anyone know how I can separate the water back out of the oil and get back to making my treats?

Thanks!!!

2. Freeze it and scoop off the ice.

3. There are chemicals that can do this but as to their safety for human consumption your on your own.
    DE-emulsifier 12.948.00, oil splitter - WVT Industries
    I'd either use it as is and never mix water into my cannabis preparations again having learned an expensive lesson or toss it and chalk it up as a FAIL.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    Weed + oil + lecithin = done
    Water = useless contaminate.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I have used water to clean/remove chlorophyll from the product before so I know it’s not a completely useless part of the process, removes a good bit of the depth of green color and plant-like flavor from the end baked good. But I’ll probably just use the product in the end and up the normal dosage of oil/baked good recipe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1) throw that shit in the trash
    2) follow BrassNWooD's direction for the best, most potent and ease of processing for making medicated oil for use in edibles.
    3) fuck yeah!!

6. I had the same issue and had to toss about (8) Oz of flower, but it was shitty anyhow. I tried leaving it in the fridge for days, but it never separated properly. The texture felt like thick applesauce. It was after that incident that I began adding the lecithin as an ingredient during the baking process for whatever I was going to make, rather than during the infusion process.

I did toss mine, but had it been coconut oil, then I probably would have used it in some teas or smoothies as to not waste it.

7. I ended up giving it a day or two to sit, emulsion eventually separated and gave me some potent product. :rave-girl:

8. EDIT: Oops, didn't see you solved your own problem.

9. Sick! Did the end product taste better (no water soluble chlorophyll?) plus technically lower potency (water soluble thc/cbd salts).

10. Tasted better, THC levels seemed to be similar to usual product. Doubt that the water affected potency much at all.

11. litt. i wonder if its any less or more healthy that way.w being that chlorophyll is a healthy byproduct of weed, but i wonder by how much..

12. Considering the form that it's being consumed in, I doubt that the clorophyll benefits really are that pronounced when consumed tbh

13. not to mention soaking food breaks down insoluble fibers into a more useable form thru creating more good bacteria.. huh gotta try this out

14. not to mention soaking food breaks down insoluble fibers into a more useable form thru creating more good bacteria.. huh gotta try this out

15. yeah prolly not unless in huge doses. gotta try this tho n see it for maself

16. One of the main reasons that I add water is that it allows me to have a higher flower-to-oil (or butter) ratio, as it thins things out, which makes it easier to stir and strain. I also brew for about 20+ hours and the product comes out fine.

This is from this morning, and as you can see it's still somewhat green even with the water, but I used a bit less than normal to test something out.

This was (7) cups of coconut oil infused with (7) Oz flower, with a couple cups of water, for a 1:1 ratio.
    Pie.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Noice! Gotta be some dank

18. The end product, minus (1) small jar. Looks more brown in the jars.
    jars.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. 20 hours... damn.