Help dying plants please advise 1st grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chrisdunne, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Has anybody any idea on this? please help

2. Right so no help :/, going solo, im just going to wait till the morning, 9 hours, going to sleep.
    Hopefully there a bit better.

3. Well I'm not an experienced grower but I would say move the light as close as you can without burning them. Put your hand at the level of the plant and hold it there for a while, if it doesn't start feeling uncomfortable then its a good height. I have mine about 18 inches away. Also you might want to get a fan in there to blow straight on the plants, this will circulate and cool the air as well as build strength in your stalks.

4. Yes, that is 77F.

5. I'm not too sure, but like frae said, get a fan in there cause not only will it keep it cooler, but he's right, the circulating air will help strengthen the stalks. I'd say give it about a week or 2.

6. from mot i see,they stretched themselfs to much,and now they are unable to support themselfs,lower your lights to within a few inches of the plant tops,attempt to bury a little bit of the stem,best of luck

7. ^ exactly what i was going to suggest

8. Another idea you might try to keep them propped up is to take it out of the pot and CAREFULLY knock off about an inch of soil from the bottom then put it back in the pot and add the soil back onto the top. Unless the roots are already at the bottom of the pot, then you're SOL. But that might over stress the plants so i'd just try it with one first.

9. #29 chrisdunne, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    Cheers for all the advice guys, i have now raised the soil and made little supports from them out of thin metal flexiwire.

I have also moved the lamp right down on top of them and checked whether it burned them or not.

Is there any chance they are now permanently damaged?

PS i will get more pics up once i get the cam tomorow

10. When your plants stretch like that they are trying to reach for the light, now that you got the light closer monitor the heat since you're using a HPS light, maybe you will want to add a fan to bring in some fresh cooler air.

11. they look like they are streching. the weaping over was most certainly caused by heat exhaustion, or lack of air movement within the room. moving air promotes sturdy stems. and helps with stretching. 2 feet should be fine for distance. that is from the top of the plant to the light surface. give them some time and see what happens. don't try to overdo it. just let em grow and take care of them to the best of your ability. experience will come.

12. Hmmm what to do so many people tell me different things, cheers for all the advice though ive been getting none recently.

Im going to move it to 1ft cuz ppl told me to move it right on top of them. i moved it to half a foot on there advice, thats where it is now.

going to look into some cfl's tomorow hopefully shouldnt be to much. that light is so powerfull for them. this is a real bummer. there stretched bad.

I put a huge fan in there yesterday, not extractor it just blows alot of air in on them and theres fresh air coming from my room.

It wass the first day there was no circulation and did the damage.

13. The best way to check the temp of the light is put the back of your hand level with teh top of the plants and leave it there for about 30 seconds and if its uncomfortably hot then the light is too close.

14. Right I have the light a small bit away, a foot away to be precise.

I am really happy about what i just saw, there a few hours into the third cycle. they look healthier and 3 are now standing up alone without the need of supports.

I think they are responding to the few hours with the hps close up, and i have started giving the loads of water over the last 24 hours.

I am charging the cam now to get pics up.

One of them has more leaves coming out of the middle of the first set. wow

15. throw more dirt around the stem all the way up to the leaves. and keep your light as close as possible without burning. put your hand palm down under the light to see if it burns your hand, it will burn your plants.

simple

16. good stuff cheers don, im still waiting for my cam batteries to charge taking bloody forever

17. going to bed, will get the pics up tomorow theyve come on alot from the last pics.

Cheers for the help again

18. lookin great bro. keep it up :)

19. I'm not experienced at growing MJ but I do grow a lot of other plants for my house and garden.

I have read a lot of grow journals here and everyone always suggests starting seeds under fluorescent. I assumed, like when I grow other plants, that this is because seedlings will stretch with too little light so you have to have the lights close to the plant and the heat from the 400w bulbs is too much for the babies. Even with fans I would never start under high wattage with any seedling. Normal seedlings need a couple of weeks to establish themselves before I'd move them.

I was also told by a horticulture major that seedlings can actually stretch from too much light. I don't know it for a fact, and I haven't experienced it myself, but maybe that's what is/was going on.