Help drying

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by davidn420, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I can't dry my buds inside. I know half you'll say "find an indoor spot" but that's not an option.
    Anyway I have an idea for an outdoor drying method. Was wondering if it will work.
    So I was thinking I could get some big Rubbermaid containers (like the type you use for storage/moving) I could line them with tin foil so it will absorb heat and dry the buds faster. Then I'll drill holes in the side for ventilation. I could put a strong clear plastic over it for the sun to go in and dry it. I will rotate the buds around the containers every 2 or 3 days to avoid mold and have even drying. So will this work? Thanks for the help.

2. you want the buds to dry slowly

3. I wouldn't do that. The bud needs to be hanged so that it gets air all around it. You shouldn't put it into a container until it's dry. Can't you just hang it on a nearby tree or something? I mean you grew it outside right?

4. U should really read more about it. U do not want the sun on the buds to dry it out. U want a slow natural dry out. The point of the dry is for the buds to use as much chlorophyll and other ferts it still has inside. The sun will dry it too fast and will leave it harsh

5. Yes man it's been done by many growers and by me too this very season. It is the best method to dry bud imo especially if the way home is long (mold sets in the damp bags of fresh bud on the way back). Leave them OUT OF THE SUN of course. The plant being dead as long as it's not wet and has air around it, it'll dry.

As Phenotype said, just hang them out in the fresh air, no need to go back to turn anything. What you will need to do is hang a tarp at 4 or 6 corners with wire on some trees or bush (slightly angled). This is in case of rain. Then attach under the tarp 6 or 8 wires from tree/branches. Then hang your pieces of branchy bud (measure before you cut so they fit under and don't touch the ground or are too short) with a tie on or not (I just hook em up like that). You can trim off the fan leaves and open the buds to see if there's mold and prevent it (optional if bud is healthy it'll just dry out), also they can be slightly touching but try to keep them apart if possible.

Come back in 2 or 3 weeks (they won't be ready to go in jars though). Leave them a few more weeks if you want them dryer for the jars. They dry slowly but very well like this.
    Then bring back home and place in room (hang them) with fans and dehydrators and low heat (open the room once in while) for 2 weeks. Then after 4-5 weeks from harvest they go in jars (when you fold a bud and the stem cracks inside it).

Even if it rains it works. If you have a lot of rain where you are, you can also build some covers (flaps) on the sides of the tarp for rain, and a few holes on top for airing if it's very humid according a grower in England (rainy). He trims the bottom and leaves a top of fan leaves so they act as rain cover to the whole branch when hung up. I just use the tarp + wire and hang them up (no flaps no holes no ties and no fan cover). This is a great method and the only one I'll do from now on (my spots are far).

6. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']Yes man it's been done by many growers and by me too this very season. It is the best method to dry bud imo especially if the way home is long (mold sets in the damp bags of fresh bud on the way back). Leave them OUT OF THE SUN of course. The plant being dead as long as it's not wet and has air around it, it'll dry.

As Phenotype said, just hang them out in the fresh air, no need to go back to turn anything. What you will need to do is hang a tarp at 4 or 6 corners with wire on some trees or bush (slightly angled). This is in case of rain. Then attach under the tarp 6 or 8 wires from tree/branches. Then hang your pieces of branchy bud (measure before you cut so they fit under and don't touch the ground or are too short) with a tie on or not (I just hook em up like that). You can trim off the fan leaves and open the buds to see if there's mold and prevent it (optional if bud is healthy it'll just dry out), also they can be slightly touching but try to keep them apart if possible.

Come back in 2 or 3 weeks (they won't be ready to go in jars though). Leave them a few more weeks if you want them dryer for the jars. They dry slowly but very well like this.
    Then bring back home and place in room (hang them) with fans and dehydrators and low heat (open the room once in while) for 2 weeks. Then after 4-5 weeks from harvest they go in jars (when you fold a bud and the stem cracks inside it).

Even if it rains it works. If you have a lot of rain where you are, you can also build some covers (flaps) on the sides of the tarp for rain, and a few holes on top for airing if it's very humid according a grower in England (rainy). He trims the bottom and leaves a top of fan leaves so they act as rain cover to the whole branch when hung up. I just use the tarp + wire and hang them up (no flaps no holes no ties and no fan cover). This is a great method and the only one I'll do from now on (my spots are far).[/quote]

Thanks for everyone, this is my 1st grow so sorry if I sounded dumb lol. But I have a question for you. Do the fan leaves dry at the same rate as the bud? Because I am going to keep the leaves and stems to make hash and brownies and shit

7. You don't use fan leaves or stems for hash, just the trim and moldy/old or bud. Use the best quality to get the best hash. The bud leaves will still be humid after 2 or 3 weeks drying so you can use them with ice. If they are dry use dry ice to make your hash. I don't see why your question is no good, most people don't know how to dry outdoors but again, it is an excellent method (I've done it and loved it).

8. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']You don't use fan leaves or stems for hash, just the trim and moldy/old or bud. Use the best quality to get the best hash. The bud leaves will still be humid after 2 or 3 weeks drying so you can use them with ice. If they are dry use dry ice to make your hash. I don't see why your question is no good, most people don't know how to dry outdoors but again, it is an excellent method (I've done it and loved it).[/quote]

Ohhh really I read online somewhere you could use them. But thanks for your help man

9. If your in a pinch you can use the rubbermades..but if it rains while theyre out there and you cant get to em for two days it will all ruin..a good way to help battle that is lay em in paper bags first then to the rubbermades..the paper will help wick away moisture..i have gone strait to paper bags. .Inside but i dint see why it wouldnt work protected by the rubbermade

10. [quote name='"Numbnutts"']If your in a pinch you can use the rubbermades..but if it rains while theyre out there and you cant get to em for two days it will all ruin..a good way to help battle that is lay em in paper bags first then to the rubbermades..the paper will help wick away moisture..i have gone strait to paper bags. .Inside but i dint see why it wouldnt work protected by the rubbermade[/quote]

Thank you. And access in short time is no problem. It's very close to my home

11. David you only want to use the trimings that have trichromes on them for hash.Just what you cut from around the buds

12. [quote name='"mikeyman"']David you only want to use the trimings that have trichromes on them for hash.Just what you cut from around the buds[/quote]

Oh alright :) I seee haha. So just wondering , I'd like to get the most out of these plants and wanted to know if there is anything else I can do with the fan leaves that aren't near the bud, or are they pretty much useless? Either way I will save them cuz I wanna try rolling bud in them and making a pure weed cigar. But anything besides that cuz that's only if there's nothing else to use it for.

13. if you use poor trim (fan leaves, brown material, stems, dirt, debris) it'll lessen the quality of the hash. I only use pure trim or extra bud. You can use the less good stuff for butter to make brownies or other (but not for the hash)

14. the leaves you are talkin about will give you a headache if smoked:(

15. [quote name='"mikeyman"']

the leaves you are talkin about will give you a headache if smoked:([/quote]

Awww :(

16. not cool but whatever

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']not cool but whatever[/quote]

Oh well I just started college I know ppl in high school

18. David,
    Life is better when you do good.
    Lack of ethics has consequences.
    LOL doesn't always work, wake up!

19. BULLSHIT