HELP drying and curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by rickcg76, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Hi GC member, well this is my first grow, I have already cut some ladies and cured them, and some others I will cut today.

I have questions regarding the drying and curing process.

about the drying my question is simple, are the drying racks or drying nets better than hanging the plant or branches upside down? why?
    I dont know if I should use a dry net or just hang them. The first ones that I dried I did it in the dry net, but I want to make sure what is the best way or what is the difference between the drynet and hanging upside down the plants or branches.

regarding the cure, how can I raise up the humidy if it is still low once they are on the jars, and also, before putting them to the jars what is the target RH for those 24-48 hours that they are going to be inside the paper bag before jaring them?

and my last and most important question HOW DO I GET MY WEED TO LOOK LIKE THE ONES THAT THEY SELL IN THE DISPENSARIES?? my weed once dried and cure looks kind of big and puffy, not compact as it should be.. how can I achive this??? anyone?

2. Don't dry it inside a paper bag for one, it will suck the smell out of your buds.
    The RH will rise as long as you keep the top on the jar.
    Let it cure inside the jars until the RH is at desirable levels and then when they rise past that, burp it.
    Drying upside down has no added benefits except it will let it dry evenly.

3. Thanks for the answer bro, I only put them on paper bag for 24 hours or so, it is supposed to even the moisture of the bud all over. I read that you are supposed to do that before putting them into a jar.. is this info wrong?

and after 24 hours of being in the bag I jar them. Just as you mention..

My question is how to make the buds dry like they are supposed to, like they sell you in the dispensaries or the weed dealers have.. the 2 plants that I already dried and cured look kind of puffy and big.. not compact as they should, I dont know how to achive this

4. I would say hang branches upside down in the dark if u can. It lets them release moisture evenly and keep a fan in the room but not directly on them. And as to the look appeal of your buds, that comes down to strain and grow experience. Learning to give your plants exactly what they need to achieve full potential :D

5. If you want quality nugs then you need to get familiar with the strains your growing, you should order some top of the line seeds from a reputable seedbank and start from scratch.
    Getting to know what a strain likes is key to growing good marijuana, and proper curing will get you some stinky shit so never try to rush it.

6. I have seeds from attitude seed bank. I ran a multi-strain

7. Maybe next grow season choose the plant that grew the best in your opinion and stick to that strain and master it.

8. Yes, I know brother, but this was my first run.. so it wasnt bad for the first time..

because that, (running multi strain) I have to harvest plants in different days.. so I cant give them the 48 darkness period before harvest... :(

one question, is there a problem if I harvest now, that the lights just turned on? I needed to harvest an OG kush, but I just came back from work and my lights just turned on.. I missed the time before they turned on to harvest

9. Well if its ready to harvest then you need to just chop it, manicure it, and hang buds on clothes hangers inside of a closet with a small fan inside that isn't directly pointed at the buds, do this for about a week and check on the buds and if they feel nice and tight, jar them and burp twice a day when RH is at appropriate levels and you can look forward to having some great smelling weed.
    But as I said before next harvest try to only grow one strain and you will know exactly what to do each harvest..
    And as for your OG kush i would say just start the 48 hours of darkness after your lights shut off by timer and immediately manicure, dry, and cure for a few weeks in darkness in that order.

10. Thanks for the advise bro.

I'm currently start today curing inside a jar 3 plants that I dried for 10 days. Maybe it was too long. I don't know. But the RH inside the jars is 54% in one. 52% in another and 51% In the last one.

Is my cure fucked up now? How can I rise a the RH inside the jar? Or it is useless now ??

I'm angry at myself. For letting them overdry. Is there anything that I can do?

11. Just let it cure bro your at a the PERFECT RH, but if you want to try and make one jar cure at a different RH (just see what works for you) then put a damp nug inside the jar to raise the RH but then take input immediately after you reach the desired levels, don't forget to watch the jars because mold can easily grow at an RH of 60 or more

12. The most important part of getting quality looking nugz is to trim them with love and care. Take the time to remove leaves from the main stem rather than just plucking the end of the leaf and cure them slowly. Fluffy bud is sought after because it is hasn't been compressed and smuggled. Buyers know its local.

13. what do you guys use to measure RH? links please...

14. Yeah I'd like to know too...

15. I got 12 hygrometer for 80 dlls in amazon, but they are not so accurate, there is a -/+ 5% in RH in each one and all of them differ a little in the RH but the temp is accurate.

they were way cheaper than the caliber III, but those are accurate.

16. #17 calvertron, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
    your airiness troubles may be from lack of light intensity. I chop full plant at base near soil. hang dry for minimum 2 weeks, then jar and burp for another 2 weeks. I also try to maintain 65ish rH at 65 degrees f▼▲

17. Im drying Now one og kush at 55% rh and 63 f. I Will increase today the rh to 60-65 for a slow drying.
    Im curing Now a black domina, a Jack herer, an exodus cheese and a liberty haze at 63% rh and 63f.

I will chop down the rest of my crop tomorrow after giving them 48 hours of darkness ( I never tried this before) and I will put them to dry with the rest. I want this grow to be finally over after 4 months

18. the wait is a killer but everyone says its worth it lol

19. Hey bud. What do u mean by "put a damp nug inside the jar"? Will this raise the RH inside the jar if the other nugs are a little to crispy?