Help dial my room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by finger, Oct 27, 2012.

1. I'll give a brief explanation of my room.

I have a 8x10x8 room split to 2 5x8s. 8 bulb 4' t5 for veg and a 1kw hps vented separate from the room for flower. Enriching with a tank & ppm-2a. Ballast located outside room. Using 6 big totes, 3 each side.

During lights on my cooler replaces air in my room depleting my co2 once about every hour and a half. It runs for about 7 mins to take the room temps from 85 back down to 79. Res temps currently at 80. Bad I know.

Rh about 45%

My questions.
    I want to use a cooling method that does not pull my co2 out. Main choices are mini split ,portable, & boxed window ac. I have a window unit but that thing draws 11 amps. My current cooling method is a 8" can pulling through a scrubber, the vacuum on the room draws cold air from an evaporative cooler requiring all of about 3 amps.

So is there a way to cool my room by means of water or however that would require less than 5 amps?

A icebox deal and chiller would do the trick but spendy and chiller probly requires more power than I'd like. So I'm looking more at a DIY setup. I don't think I need alot of cooling but that's why I posted specs so someone more knowlageable could give me some ideas.

On the subject of water cooling, I need to take control of my res temps as stated above.

I have A few radiator/fan setups from autos plus heater cores and such if they might help in the DIY category.

If DIY wont work what would be a better route than my 11amp ac without breaking the bank? Next option I see is a small mini split @ about $600

2. I may be stoned and a sleep but your trying to get your room temps down without do anything drastic money and power wise is that correct?

3. That's right. Room and res temps.

4. hmm, i mean i actually use Ice water for my humidifier. Use to have a warm air mist now switched to a cold air and i use freezeing water and it actually cools it down a bit for me. Solved my heat problem. Of course theres the co2 route as well.

Um you said your 1k is vented sep. from the room its in? meaning like your taking air from a different room via like cutting a hole in wall and taking that air from that room to cool your light and vented outside? do you do that way?

5. a good blower on the 1000hps that blow air outside of the room is the solution
    and if your already at 80,,,, 80 its ideal temp light on, about 70 light off,variation of about 10 degrees help the plan to grow.....
    just buy a real 6 inch blower, or 8 or 10 whatever,,,, its gonna makethe difference

6. ^^^ is a givin' Gotta have atleast a 6" inline venting your hot air outside. Shes hot, need to throw it outside not just outside the grow.

7. I haven't had to worry about humidity yet although it would probly help overall a little. I'm @ 40-50% or so. And I already have co2 that's why I'm allowing my temps as high as they are. And the evap cooler is working great on a timer letting my temps fluctuate from 80-85 lights on. Also only coming on for 7 mins very hour and a half but it of course takes my co2.

And yes my light is setup like that with a 6" 400cfm fan and about 5' of ducting(as to not deplete my co2). Works pretty good I'm about 6-8" off my scrog canopy and keeping the canopy temps at 90 on the highest part (using ir thermometer).

My 6" air cooled hood has a 6" fan. Cools it pretty well. 80 seems to be a good temp according to my reading but I'm achieving that right now with the evap cooler. It sucks my co2 but uses 1/5th the power of my boxed window unit. I need to replace my cooling method of an evap cooler basically. It sucks my co2 but it's better than running my boxed window a/c that draws a ton of power.

I read somewhere someone ran some coils underground and it gives cold water year round. My ambient temps in my area are average probly 85 highs in the summer 105 every once and again but usually around 100.

I would like to construct something if possible that would draw low amounts of power yet cool a sealed room. And I pay for all utilities so water and power are of concern when it comes to useage.

So back to the coils in the ground, if I could get cold water by running it through some coils in the ground I would eliminate the most power consuming part of any cooler. Cooling. All that would be needed In this concoction I have pictured would be a way to transfer the "cold" to my room. Car parts galore and plenty of fans I could make something work. I just don't know if it would be enough cooling for my setup. Or if coils in the ground even cool.

Maybe I'm too stoned and that's a horrible idea. I'm just being cheap and a fan/ water pump setup would draw about 3 amps versus box ac of 10 amps and 9k mini split like 7-8 amps. Plus the initial investment of a the split makes it not doable for

8. Coil idea is horrible. Unless I dig really deep. but heat exchanger will work. Throw in some antifreeze and a res in my kegorators freezer, throw the heat exchanger/heater core inline with the pre existing 8" carbon scrubber that constantly cycles the room, and throw in an inline pump on a thermostat. Done.

9. #9 janemba, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
    replenishing your room will CO2 will allow u to have an inclosed room, with no ventilation required. some people will say this is a bad idea, and the plant needs fresh air, not true, the plant needs co2...

1000w Hps hood puts out approx 4500btu, dehumidifier approx 200btu, added with other equipment such as timers can bring your cooling needs over 5000btu.

using a mini split is usually the best bet, but if its not matched with ur room it may be over kill on your 1000w room, if the unit cools to fast it will cause it to short cycle, turning on and off more frequently using more draw and making ur electric bill sky rocket, also the cost of the unit (upwards of $2000) plus installation would make this venture a last option.

with one 1000w u can get away with 5-75k.btu ac unit. whether it be a mini split or portable. but the problem with portables are that, it will not allow u to do a fully inclosed room, just make sure if u do exhaust control the odor. but a 5k btu portable unit is going to cost u around $300, with easy installation

but if u do have the money to spend, look into ice box and chill king water cooled units.