Help designing a grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by anonbluurr, Sep 30, 2015.

1. #1 anonbluurr, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
    I need to make a completely and 100% soundproof, smellproof, and lightproof grow room. Under and by the stairs I have a semi finished closet. The wall frame is up but isn't insulated or anything. The area where the room will be is right behind this closet, under the stairs and front door. It is also behind a bar that is used every now and then for parties. I'm planning on putting in heat and sound insulation as it gets fairly cold down there during the winter. In the area under the bottom flight of stairs I'm thinking about putting the intake and exhaust, my worry is that the intake will pull the air from the exhaust in. I'm also really worried about sound with the exhaust. (Neighbors heard the exhaust from my first attempt so I had to shut that down) I'm thinking about using the 6" Vortex S-Line fan with two carbon filters, one for exhaust and intake to help keep bugs and what not out. (The intake will be pulling air in from my garage) For more sound proofing I'm going to use insulated ducting and two mufflers. One muffler for the intake and one for the exhaust. I'll also be using a fan controller since I'll only need to use the fan at 50% to meet my rooms requirements afaik. I want to use sound insulation and MFB (I think thats the right wood) boards to further dampen the sound of the grow room. I want people to be able to put their ear to any wall and not be able to hear a single thing.

The room is 80''x4.2'x4.2 (LxWxH) not counting the area under the stairs, which should have enough room.

Oops lol, sorry most are verticle

Attached Files:

2. I have the same fan and its really quite at full power, so 50% should be whisper quiet. As to insulation, I would go with spray insulation and if you want to go all the way, Audimute Peacemaker. Spendy, but that should take care of the sound.

3. Awesome thank you, what size insulation would you recommend from Audimute. I'm not worried about price I'm looking to spend as much as necessary to keep me and my plants safe :)

4. Right now, audimutesoundproofing.com you can pick up 4 2ftx25ft rolls $290 with free shipping. So, you are looking at dropping a couple of grand just on that.

5. Use reg pink panther between the studs cover with osb, lastly cover that with reflective insulation sheets. Put a dryer vent on the oitside wall of your home pipe your exhaust to it. This guy must do a lot of laundry...lol no one will look twice

6. Haha its a house of 3. I have a fair bit of anxiety and having my room so sound proof that I can play music inside and nobody hears it would help ease that anxiety, and well the buds I grow would help too lol Thanks for the info guys.

7. I have one more question, do you think a single carbon filter rated for the Vortex S-Line would be able to keep the stankiest of bud smells out? Or should I go for a specific brand of carbon filter?

8. When it comes to filters yes it will work, but I would be worried about smell more then sound. In your space i would run 2 fans and 2 filters. As far as the brand I would stick to the tried and true phresh or can filters.

9. We converted a bedroom once our sons got married and moved out of the house. We live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and life is so hectic these days that the traffic in and out of our house is pretty much nil. Your concerns were my concerns when we were first building this thing. We sectioned off a 14 x 16 bedroom into 2/3 flower space, 1/3 veg space. When you open the door, it opens up into the veg area which isn't a problem with smell or noise or anything. The flowering area is where all the problems come from. We have a friend who's dad works at a mattress factory and he brings home scraps of the material they make them with..4" memory foam lined with plastic on one side. We took these strips and insulated the wall that we built to separate the two rooms HEAVILY! The door that opens up to the flower space was insulated heavily and done in a way to overlap layers so that no smell or sound can escape. We ended up having to put in a small air conditioner in the window to manage the temps since that room is the hottest room in the house in the summer, which created more noise to try and muffle, but by the time we got everything insulated and the layers created, it took care of it all. Don't hear any sound, don't smell any dankness seeping out of there during the last few weeks of flowering. You have a killer good space to set your grow up in. Take your time and think about each element as you put it together. It's never fun to do anything twice. LOL We've taken ours apart about 3 times over the last couple of years and made improvements to it. Hopefully, we've got it where it needs to be and won't have to mess with it again.

10. Thanks for all the extra info. I'm thinking about doing a Sea of Green grow considering how much space I have. I'm not sure what light to get. I'm leaning towards LED because of space. The more room I can get for the plants the better. I'm thinking starting off with an Apollo Horticulture until I can start getting my plants going, but what other lights would be good for short grow spaces?

11. The LED's work great but the quality ones are quite expensive still. If you're planning on using an LED, wait until you can get one that does what it says it does and don't waste money on the cheap ones made in China. They're generally twice the price of a good quality hps fixture...which does just as good or better a job IMO. I flower with hps lighting and have for the last couple of years now. We started with two and have graduated to 4. I generally flower about 16 at a time and that works out nicely with everything getting plenty of good light and having enough room for it to penetrate each plant as much as possible. You need to read up on each kind of lighting and decide which will work best for you. Both work great and I plan on adding a couple of LED's to our mix in the near future as supplemental lighting. Keep in mind that a 700 watt LED is equivalent to a 1000 watt hps and they do tend to burn hotter to the plant compared to the hps. Always start high with an LED and drop toward your plants gradually to get to the level that is good without damaging them. As for the SOG....the thing you need to realize before going into one of those is that they are QUITE a bit of work and take up a good bit of time in their maintenance. If you're like me and have hours on end and nothing better to do than tie down shoots, then go for it. If life doesn't afford you a lot of extra time right now, you might consider just growing the first ones out in containers and using that time to get a feel of the plant and what you can expect from them. Regardless of what type of lighting you go with, be sure not to crowd it. You can always harvest more from one plant that has everything it needs than you can from 4 that receive only a fraction. Good luck with it. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. TWW

12. Just the difference between HPS and LED is how big they are. Which is my next biggest concern beside stealth. I'm the kinda person that can't stand inefficiency, since my grow room isn't very tall, aprox 4.20 (heh) feet tall. I may go with a 400, 500 or 600 watt LED. Maybe Start with a lower end HPS light and then eventually upgrade to a high quality LED. Would maybe starting off with a CFL be a better option considering space?

13. I just saw the new PhytoMAX from Blackdog, although pricey maybe Blackdog would be a better option for this grow. If their claims are right these lights can be closer to the canopy which would allow me to grow more efficiently and have shorter, bushier and just as or maybe even more potent buds. If anyone has any experience with the new PhytoMAX lights what are your opinions? Maybe going wtih a the 200 watt would be more cost efficient then a 400 or 600 watt MH/HPS set up. Although with a HID I would be able to afford more lights to fill out my space quicker I would be spending more money on electrical output and bulbs, whilst with the PhytoMAX I'll be spending more money on the lighting itself and less on the electrical output for the light and cooling. Say, if I did a 4 plant SOG or single plant in SCROG or natural grow each (Scenario) produced a minimum of 4 ounces I would have already earned back the cost of the 200w PhytoMAX in bud production. Wall of text sorry

Which would be better, a MH/HPS Set up growing 4 plants or a single larger plant equally an output of 4 ounces min. or a 200w PhytoMAX growing 2-4 in SOG or a single larger plant with the same output? (I know output is determined by grower competence and lighting preference is decided through experience and opinion)