Help design my dresser grow box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dirtybean, Apr 24, 2010.

1. #1 dirtybean, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    Gathering supplies to build my box. Dimensions inside are 29Hx26Wx16D. Going CFL style for my first grow, then may switch to HPS depending on funds. Want to grow 2 plants (not sure if Scrog or LST would be better for me.) My ideas so far:

1-2 intake fans (not sure if passive would be enough)
    1-2 exhaust fans
    DIY carbon filter for the exhaust
    sheeting/mylar for inside
    temp/humidity gauge
    remove that horizontal piece of wood
    CFL lighting mounted to something, adjustable height
    small fan set inside blowing across plants
    build hinged door, seal all edges

right now my only concerns are heat-wise. i'm a newb so any suggestions would be awesome. thanks!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Put it together, run it like you would but without plants, and check the temps.

3. I think heat is an issue that all micro growers have to worry about. Like the above poster said, build the system and run it without the plants first.

4. to save myself time, can anyone with a similar setup recommend how many intake/exhaust fans?

5. I have a cab that is 2'Lx2'Wx5'H. I use a $50 lasko fan from lowes for exhaust, and a passive intake. Unless you're moving a lot of air, you only really need a passive intake. Focus more on using fans for exhaust. So maybe 2-3 fans for exhaust, with a passive intake.

6. thanks :) love your username btw

7. i'm thinking of only having one exhaust fan...adding a carbon filter to it. can anyone recommend what size (mm) fan i should use? i'm gonna try and find the equation on here that tells me how much air i should be moving/replenishing and how fast.....

8. got the box built. now to work on electrical and ventilation.

9. If you're using computer fans, find the most powerful that you can. They can get relatively noisy, but I don't think they get anywhere near as loud as other fans you might use (like squirrel/centrifugal cage fans).

10. exactly. you think one of those 120mm fans would exhaust enough air?