Help, Curing question

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Banshe, Sep 28, 2022.

  1. So i hang dried the whole plant until the stems snapped like a crisp and all the buds felt very crispy now iv trimmed all the leafs away i put the buds into a zip lock bag and kind of squeezed the buds together to make them look nicer then i put them in a jar and noticed they feel kind of wet now i have the hygrometer in and it says 20c Celsius 55 % humidity they have only been in the jar like 20 mins though, should i take them out and dry them even more or just leave them, will the humidity spike soon?
     
  2. Check humidity after 24 hours in jar, should be between 58-62. If too high open jar for 30 min. If really high, spread buds out and let dry for a bit.
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. I'm just a bit more liberal, 65% at start of cure is ok for me. Anything higher gets taken out to dry a bit more. You do not want below 55%. Curing will stop at 55% and below.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The buds feel wet but its reading 54% humidity lol, they felt very crispy until i smushed them together, i'll just have to wait 24 hours
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You actually don't want to smush them together. They need air circulation, and you might be knocking trichomes off. During cure they tend to stick together anyway. I generally open the lid, 'gently' shake the jar to unstick any clumps(don't want bud rot, air circulation helps) and then let them sit for 5-10 minutes to exchange air then seal back up for another 24 hrs. Avoid squeezing them too much, that sticky residue on your fingers is what you don't want to lose too much of. The mini hygrometers ( I buy the cheap ones ) are only accurate up to a point. I put batteries in 20 of them and the readings were consistent but still varied up to +1 to -1 from the average. Hope some of this helps.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It's actually dropped down to like 51% now after 3 hours, The buds feel pretty sticky, now that they are in the jars all the stems are bending instead of snapping even tho humidity is pretty low in the jar, when I harvested 90% of the branches snapped the other 10% just bended, not sure why the stems have gone back to being bendy
     
  7. so it's been 24 hours and its still 52% humidity in the ja, Damn...still feel sticky tho, guess i messed it up, i did wait until stems snapped tho, is it pointless to leave them in the jar and try cure them at this stage
     
  8. Keep the cure going and hope for the best!
     
  9. upload_2022-9-29_18-56-30.png
    I have a little hydrometer thats off by 11°s.
    I jar at 65% like Saint Duck.
    If you squeeze the bud and it stays squished it's probably still wet.
    I dry using the 7,7,7 method.
    7 days hanging
    70°
    70% RH
    It's worked very.
    upload_2022-9-29_19-9-10.png

    upload_2022-9-29_18-56-30.png
    Good luck!
     

    Attached Files:

    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. #10 BrassNwood, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Stems snapping is to dry and that needs to be removed from general drying lore.

    A lot depends on your local humidity. If your not drying at 70% humidity extra steps are needed to stay in range as the dry is the most critical step. Blow the dry and no cure can happen.

    I only take down off the plant what I can trim up in 10 minutes as longer then that and it wilts and makes trimming that much harder.
    [​IMG]
    A jar of denatured Alcohol to dip and clean the scissors in keeps them from gumming up.
    [​IMG]

    Hang until the smallest popcorn buds firm back up. In my local low 12 % humidity this can happen in just hours.

    [​IMG]

    Strip all the buds from the major branches, cut into thumb sized nugs and bag them.
    A pair of grape scissors works best for this.

    [​IMG]

    Stack bags in new clean closed trashcan overnight.

    Set back out during the day. They'll spend less time out and exposed as the days progress. Stir the bag contents a few times a day.

    This slows the dry and made all the difference in how my end product started to come out. Soft and squishy = needs more time exposed. Stiff and almost crunchy = needs more can time. At the end of 7 to 10 days you want to be at 65-62% when the can is first opened in the morning as that is your best read. I suspended a humidity gauge at the top of the can.
    [​IMG]

    At that point it is perfectly dried and can be placed in jars with no pesky burping needed.

    [​IMG]

    Half gallon mason jars with a 60 gram size 62% Boveda humidity pack for insurance and a 60 day cure will give you as good as it gets.
    [​IMG]
    This works in low humidity zones and will get you a can of mold in Florida hurricane season. :)

    BNW
     
    • Winner Winner x 1

Share This Page