help! cpu fan wireing

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by azamoth88, May 1, 2013.

1. Have a dc12v rocketfish cpu fan. It has four wires....red black yellow and red. What kind of plug do I need and how do I wire it???

2. you don't need a plug you need a dc adapter like a phone charger. don't try and put more than 12v through it though cus itll shatter your dreams of any imminent air propulsion. I believe the wires on the fan are red and black, the yellow one is to run it on half voltage or something when its in your computer. test it out with a 9v battery first so u know whichwires which

3. There's a blue wire too. Do I connect the ground by itself and the other three together???

4. no put the positive and negative to the respective wires and just ignore the yellow and blue ones

5. #5 Navarone, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
    Pin 1 black is ground, next to black (red or yellow) is +12v, pin 3 usually yellow is RPM sensor, pin 4 blue is PWM speed control. Pin number is the standard, wire color ISN'T!

Take your 12v power supply (phone charger or whatever) and connect the + to pin 2 red(or yellow, pin 2!) and - to pin 1 black. Most fans will start at 5v or higher. If you're trying to run a slower speed (lower voltage) make sure the the will start spinning by itself. A normal thing to do in the custom PC world is run 12v (yellow on molex) and 5v (red on molex) that equals 7v and fan runs at about half speed, but that's from a normal molex plug, not this fan plug.

Attached Files: