help! court soon - traffic ticket

Discussion in 'General' started by skeetreese, Feb 21, 2010.

1. i'm 19 from michigan going to court for the first time.

the first time i was pulled over was about two months ago for speeding. the officer left me off with a warning although we discovered my insurance was out of date. he gave me a ticket for the missing proof of insurance and told me if i brought the proof in the ticket would be dismissed.

i later brought the ticket + my out of date insurance slip to the office workers of the courthouse. they pulled my insurance up and verified that i indeed did have proper insurance; my papers were just outdated. thus i paid a $25 fine and the ticket was no more.

my new insurance paperwork was on the way in the mail at this point

i again was pulled over a few weeks later for what i believe to be a bullshit cop fucking with a college student. i was driving northbound and needed to head south to get to a gas station. as i was making the michigan left (median uturn), came to a complete stop and pulled out, turning into the gas station. i see the lights pull up behind me.

the cop tells me when i come to a stop at a turn with a red light i have to stop and wait 3 seconds before going. he said i didn't wait long enough. he wrote me up for
    1.red signal
    2.no proof of insurance

i explained to him my insurance situation buuut.. no go.

ironically i get a letter from secretary of state congratulating me for not getting any tickets thus far and if i continue driving well i'll be taken off "driving probation" sooner. i guess all new drivers are put on this.

i've got my first ticket as proof still, updated proof of insurance and registration. court is in a few days. what can i do or say? what should i expect? plead guilty? not guilty? i won't be getting a lawyer. i also won't have money the day of court to pay a fine if there is one.. however the very next day i get my check so i will have money then.

thanks guys

2. No lawyer = plead guilty.

Just show the papers, explain your situation and maybe get a small fine. Explain this to the prosecuter.

3. Court is bullshit. Bring your papers and explain.

FUCK COURT!

;)

4. yeah i'm scared i'm going to get walked over, not given a fair shot to ask for lenience, etc. partially because of my age as well as because i won't know what the hell is going on.
    that's why i've come to you, my stoner friends [;

thanks for the straight up response Brahski.

anyone else have input?

5. Np, if it's anything like when I went you'll have to sign in, wait like an hour and a half, talk to the prosecuter 1 on 1, he'll give you your sentence. Then you'll just wait in the court room until you're called up by the judge, you please guilty and he'll give you what the prosecuter told you you'd get.

6. I don't really have any information besides; look appropriate, respond with sir/ma'am & don;t speak unless you;re spoken to/asked a question. & Expect the surcharge fee to be more than the actual ticket.

7. if that's what's going to happen it sounds like things will go smoother than i was picturing in my head.

assuming you're given a fine is there a date you have to pay it by?

8. Yeah there is & most of the time you can get an extension on the date the lucci's due.

9. You'll probably get two weeks, if you need more ask for an extension. And yeah, as ironlung said, expect your state's sir charge to be more than your fine if you get one. My buddy got busted for posession, got a $100 fine with a NY $125 sir charge.

Also, no need to dress up, my first time I went to court I put on a shirt and tie and all the white trash there were wearing beaters and shit.

10. Yeah I didn't mean "dress up" dress up. Although it would be comical to dress up in a suit.

11. "I'm comming off as stupid?!? You guys are wearing tux's to a job that requires you to clean toilets!"

12. :laughing: "Are you saying Pan or Pam?"

13. Hah, I love that movie. For sure watching it tomorrow.