[Help] Closet Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JWicksy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Hey there! I'm looking into starting to grow in this closet i have. I'm a complete noob when it comes to growing so i need a lot of help. I need a list of everything needed to get this closet into a working grow box. (Only need one plant at a time, two if possible) I was also interested in having some kind of small hydro system running in there if possible. Thanks a lot, all help is very much appreciated!

Dimensions -
    W - 2ft 7inch
    L - 4ft 6inch
    D - 1ft 8inch

Picture -

[​IMG]

2. #2 StickyHerb, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
    Okay i'll throw out some basic supplies and some others can chime in and add what I miss.

1 x mylar sheet / and or windshield sunshade to line your box with to get the most you can out of your lights.

1 x box of CFLs highest wattage possible at 6500k and or 5000k light temperature. You want your total wattage to at least be 100 watts for one plant. If you want to run another plant with it, add another 50 watts of lighting to equal 150 watts total. Now make sure when you're buying these lights you go buy the actual wattage per bulb, on the box it will say "100w equivalent" but the actual wattage on the bulb will only be around 26w. These bulbs will be used for the vegetative stage.

1 x box of CFLs highest wattage possible at 2700k heat temperature. These lights will be used for the flowering stage, and i recommend upping the amount of wattage used for this stage. I would run 150w of total light for one plant and 200w of light for two. Same rules apply for these bulbs as the last ones.

4+ (depending on the amount of bulbs you have) x light bulb to socket adapters. They look like this:

[​IMG]

1 or 2 x power strips to mount your lights into.

Okay so you're going to need some sort of ventilation. I don't know how stealth you're looking to go with this thing, but you're probably going to need to cut holes in the side of the box for this. This could cause some light leakage, but with some ingenuity you could create a nice light trap. For ventilation i recommend using:

2 or 3 x 80mm PC case fans. You're going to need to wire these up to 12v power cords so look up a guide, there's plenty of them out there. I'd use two fans for intake and one fan for outtake to make sure your case never gets hot and fresh air was always blowing through.

1 x roll of shiny duct tape / foil tape to get your shit to all hold together.

I'm also not sure if smell is an issue with your grow, if so you may want to invest in some sort of carbon filtration system for the outtake of your case instead of a PC fan. If smell is an issue, you can buy a carbon filter or there are plenty of DIY guides to making your own floating around. Just do some searching.

As for your hydro system, basically any hydro system will work I believe. I'm not a hydro grower myself so I can't give you much info on this, but i've seen hydro systems run in much smaller spaces than that.

That's about all I can think of right now, I hope this helped.

3. Its also important to get a PH tester and when looking for soil to grow pay more attention to whats in the soil then just the brand names. Alot of problems with plants can lead back to the soil your using causing all kinds of problems. With CFL's you want your lights no more then 3 inches away.