HELP! Clones in rockwool smell moldy and musty. Look great tho! Will they go bad?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by candycolas, Jun 23, 2009.

1. I'm a newbie. This is my first grow. I was given some GDP clones from a friend 3 days ago. They were all in Grodan rockwool cubes and they are in a tray with a hood. I'm using Clonex clone solution. When I first received them, the cubes had so much water in them that when I squeezed the cubes, water came out. I wasn't sure if this was how they were supposed to be so I squeezed a little bit of water out of each one but for the most part, left them pretty water logged. I figured that the guy I got them from made them that way and since he's fairly seasoned, he must have done them that way on purpose.

I clipped the tips of each leaf, mixed my Clonex for foliar spay, misted the bottoms of each leaf, misted the inside of the hood and set the tray approximately 5 feet from my 400W MH light (not directly under but off to side). The temp has always been between 75 and 80 and my humidity has actually been off the chart. The digital hygrometer has been reading "--". I'm assuming that it just means that I'm at 100% since when I take the hood off, the reading will drop to the upper 90's and then start climbing when I put the hood back on.

The plants never wilted and they look great but each cube now smells like an old sponge that's been sitting in a sink for too long. Like I said, they still look great but the smell has me worried. I've now turned the halide light off and have put the clones under 2 18" floros. 1 is a 15w cool white and the other is a 15w warm white. I've cracked the hood open a bit to allow more air flow than just the vents on the top. Temp is now maintaining at 76 with humidity at 80%. I've also put a fan on it. I'm going to go buy a heat pad today.

Any suggestions/comments? Will they survive or should I toss them? They still look good but I don't want to have to deal with mold or fungus problems later on. Is there something that I can use to kill any mold or mildew?