Help Choosing TV

Discussion in 'General' started by NorseMythology, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I think I've narrowed it down to a sony led KDL-42EX440 or panasonic plasma tc-p50u50. Disregard price or screen size differences, thats not really a concern to me. So both are 1080p have 24p playback and both claim smooth motion of some sort. If it makes any difference, i have the panasonic dmt-bdt220 smart bluray player; as in, is their some advantage to both being panasonic other than being able to control my tv with the bluray remote? With that being said, what sort of benefit does one offer over another? Im mostly thinking in regards to image quality/color/sharpness/audio quality. I dont have a home theater system so the tv speakers will be my audio for the foreseable future. Im not sure what else to ask so any additional input is welcome. Thanks!

2. Get the bigger one...Bitches dig bigger.:cool:

3. Id actually prefer that plasma was 42in but i cant find a 42in plasma as good as that one for the price (600). Id like to choose based on the things i mentioned (image quality etc.) So the 8 extra inches isnt a concern for me (or my girl).

4. Do not buy a TV anytime soon! There is a new generation of TVs coming out within the next few months, and is the reason for the price drop of current TVs. I attended an electronics conference in Las Vegas, and these new TVs are beyond astonishing. By generation, I mean there was the LCD, then the LED, and these new ones that are coming out. Unless you absolutely need a TV to survive at the moment, do not buy one.

5. Plasmas are a huge energy suck btw.

6. If they're both 1080p why not just go bigger anyway?

I like Panasonic and have no experience with Sony other than my Playstation, which seems to work well, so I would assume they'd do alright. Ultimately, depending how far you go with inputs and all you will probably want a universal remote for controlling everything, but in the interest of saving remotes why not just go Panasonic.

Is that the big one? She may not tell you, but they dig bigger.:cool:

7. do not get the plasma! they are very prone to burn in. say you leave a dvd or blu-ray paused it can permently burn into your screen in as little as 1 hour. also if you wantch a news program the time and channel logo could get burned in. also if you play video games your hud (heads up display) will get burned in trust me. i had a 60 inch plasma 6 months ago and it would suck having to take a break from playing cod so my tv youldnt get fucked. and if you get a plasma be prepared to roast in the summer in my bed room it would be 15 degrees hotter than the reast of the house plasma's are old technology and sony makes a better over all tv. and im not even a sony fanboy lol. samsung makes the best tv's imo but sony is good to and pansonic is ok when it comes to lce or led.

8. video games = LED
    movies and sports = Plasma
    both = LED

9. Also, this is old. Plasmas have evolved since then. You really need to work hard to make a burn-in effect on your plasma, not 1 hour try 1 week.
    Plasmas are great for fast-action stuff like sports and movies, but not so good for video games from my experience. Panasonic make the best plasmas nowadays btw.

10. Ah well thanks for the quick responses! A lot of good points made here, i can say the choice is all the tougher now. And my hesitation with waiting for 4k tv's and oled is the amount of time it will take to phase in the new more costly technology. I dont suspect they will be in my price ranges for years to come. That and first generations of new technology is risky. Often their are wrinkles to be ironed out at first. Having said that i dont think it will immediately hurt current tv prices because it will be priced above well above the average consumers budget. So current tv technology wont really compete with oled or 4k tvs, its a different market. If i'm wrong it would be music to my ears because id love an oled tv haha.

11. I attended an electronics conference in Las Vegas[​IMG][​IMG]

12. my plasma was a brand new lg not one of the old models it doesnt take much even in the manual it said if you leave it on a stationary screen for over and hour it could burn in and in between cod games i would see the radar burned in and i would have to go to the color wash for 5 minutes just to fix it back it was so annoying plasma is outdated.