Help choosing ballast

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JoshBG123, Dec 28, 2016.

1. I have a 600w HPS bulb and am about to buy a ballast, the 400w and 600w ballasts are the same price however I am only growing one plant so I know 600w is overkill so should I just buy a 400w light bulb ($25) for the 400w ballast or should I stick to the 600w I already have and just buy the 600w ballast?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. get the 600. It's not overkill. you'll be happier with that than the 400 IMO

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hello,
    take in consideration that not all ballast support HPS and at the same time MH bulbs.
    I usually go with a dimmerable one, so i can switch to lower or higher bulbs in no time.
    I usually buy mine online, even if they are used you can get a good deal.

4. haven't tested it yet, but i've heard that dimming bulbs (so a 400w at 50% = 200w) does NOT create the correct spectrum of light, . or rather the ADVERTISED spectrums and will reduce overall bulb life. On the other hand, i've been told if you're dimming to use the appropriate wattage bulb you are dimming to, (ie 400w ballast at 50% with a 200w lamp) It'll also shorten the life of the bulb Neither of these seem a viable option to me, but have at it! and post your results!

• Like Like x 1
  5. looks like it's only for HPS as far as i can see, so make SURE you don't want to use MH for veg. other than that, looks okay

6. Ok thank you I'll only be using HPS as there the best for the money imo

• Like Like x 1
  7. do it!

8. How could you tell it was only for HPS?

9. it said nothing about a Metal Halide bulb. it states HPS or High Pressure Sodium repeatedly though. not certain, but that's what it looks like to me

10. The place where you bought the bulb and reflector should be able to sell you the correct ballast.

11. Yeah you should never set a different wattage than your bulbs wattage, can shorten its life and it is dangerous. I use dimmerable ballasts because for first week seedlings 250w bulb is enough and then switch to a 400w.

12. Perfect thank you

13. I would go ahead and get the 600w, because when I was buying my ballast it was between a 600 and 1000 and I went with the 600 to save a few bucks but I wish I hadn't cuz now I'm gonna spend a couple hundred on a new thousand watt in a couple months when I could have just spent $40 more initially and had almost twice the power.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah I've gone for the 600 are you growing a lot of plants under your 1000?

15. i grow 4 plants under a 400 but 5 are ok too, so a 600w guess can grow like 6 or maybe more.

16. Ah ok thank you