Help choosing ballast 1 1k or 2-3 600's?,

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mercury, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Just what the topic says guys, i have a 9x8 room and currently have a 1k light on a 4" light mover. I know this setup is not sufficient for the whole room as is, and im only growing in about 6x6 of it as is. I have another 1k ballast, and another light mover... your probably saying, well then why dont you use that....duh? I cant because my breaker keeps tripping... i live in a POS manufactured home and my guess is electricity here isnt exactly up to 'code' So i have been thinking, if maybe 2k trips my shit, but maybe i can get away with 1800 with 3 6's or hell even two (on light movers). What i would really like to do is get 3 600hps two on outsides on the movers and one hanging vertical.

Opinions.... ideas welcome please input!
    pictures soon to come....

2. The 1000 on a light rail should really be used on a 4x6/7 foot area for alright growth.

The 3 600 would kill 2 1000's in a 4x8 area.

3x 600 = 270000 Lumens = 1800W
    2x 1000W (basic bulb) = 220-240000 Lumens = 2000W

3. Thats what im starting to think.... would the 2 1k's stand a chance using cool blue hortilux bulbs? (this would be assuming the 3 600's were also using same hortilux bulbs)
    Of course 3 600s gonna whoop 1 1k just cause more power/lumens. im worried that my power wont stand up for the 3 600's just like it wouldnt the 2 1k's, how wuld 2 600's on light movers do in a room that size? (im wanting optimum results)

4. Well 3 600W would whoop 2 1K's

If you stuck two 600 on a light rail each running at composite ends I guess you could cover a 3x6? foot area with each bulb. Light rails are a hit and miss. I've seen people do good and not as good with them.

Are the 1k's running on 240V? or 110/120?

5. I would personally run 2-3 600's!

6. Personally I will always go with 600 since they put out less heat and can be put much closer to the plants than the 1000, therefore getting many more lumens. HPS light 1/2's with every foot you keep the lights from the canopy.

7. i am running 110 right now, and have like 4, 1000 watt hps ballast, one is mh/hps switchable. anyone want to trade? pm me ;)

Thanks for the info..... anyone got good links for cheap ballasts? i think i want a 600 watt that can run two bulbs at the same time..

8. Your reason for wanting to switch is a little unusual. My suggestion would be to make your existing mess work. What you really need is an electrician.

If I was in your shoes I would;

Goto the circuit breaker box and study it. Figure out what circuit breakers are covering what areas in your house all the way down to the outlets. Write it all down, even marking the outlets with numbers that correspond to the breaker they are on.

Once you have done the above map I BET you will see why the breaker is tripping. Use the map you have done and reduce the load on that circuit breaker. Do this by plugging devices into other outlets on different circuits. With the map above you will also likely find circuits that are barely being used. You could run an extension cord from an outlet on a circuit that is barely being used to your room. Maybe run the light on one circuit and the fans and such on the other.

You can make your existing setup work with a little leg work IMO.

9. Thanks that is also a good bit of info, i have looked at my breaker box, however not too closely. i do remember nothing being marked, and I have no room for additional breakers. But finding some breakers with less of a load on them is a good idea, ill check into it. how much heat do the 600's put off compared to 1000's? is it just 40% less heat?