Help! chillax wants to travel to Cuba!

Discussion in 'General' started by chillax, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Hey everyone, chillax here.:wave:

For those of you who don't know me ... I'm a musician.

Lately, I've been looking into traveling to Cuba to study and absorb the incredible musical heritage. Of course, traveling to Cuba is not as easy as just hopping on a plane.

I was wondering if any of you blades had traveled to Cuba, and, if so, could provide me with some first hand information.

Much Appreciated,

chillax

2. I haven't been to Cuba but know many people who have, and it's not hard to do at all. You'll have to fly to somewhere else though, first.

Actually, a client of ours at work was just there two weeks ago. And actually, I'm not sure if you have to go to another country first, or if that's just from awhile ago, but you may.

3. my best friend is cuban
    and she goes there all the time
    all i know is that american money is like gold
    and they treat americans like royalty

4. #5 Wet Horse Lips, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
    Cuba is nice, man.

Granted, I was at a resort.

And I'm Canadian.

I say fly up here, and then go there. It's pretty cool, man.

EDIT: There are pesos, and tourist pesos. What a scam. You know how pesos are worth so little to us? Well, tourist pesos are higher in value than the Canadian dollar. Not sure about the US dollar, but yeah. Doing money exchange on the resort grounds was odd. $20 CDN got me literallly... 14 tp. THE FUCK. Although, alcohol and tobacco is cheap as hell, so...

5. That's what I've heard, that you should go through Canada.

Thanks for all the replies.

And yeah, Havana is what I'm thinking

6. from what my friend told me
    you dont even have to exchange the US dollar for them, b/c most ppl will accept that as currency

7. I have heard that Cuba no longer accepts the dollar, and there is a tax for conversion to acceptable currency once you get there...

8. What instruments do you play, Chillax?

Are you looking for Cuban musical influences?

9. I'm primarily a jazz guitar player / composer.

I've been influenced by Cuban music for some time. I want to start digging a little deeper and playing in that style (rather than having it just influence my other styles).

10. Hey there,
    I have been to cuba once, it was back in 2002, I was in cancun and i booked a flight and a hotel, from a travel agency.. I think you need a room booked before travel??? any way it was a blast, Im an american and was a little worried about my passport but they didn't stamp it.. :) but all the hotels and guest houses i stayed at did document everything:rolleyes:... bring enough money with you i couldn't get any money from banks or atm's because i'm american....any way old havana was killer...

11. Hahaha whaaaat?

Yo chillax, you should listen to this dude.