help! cfl gro plants 2 wks old. yellowing?? 1st timer

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by prjctblupine, Mar 31, 2010.

1. i've already invested over $500 in this project so i've got not money for a camera, i apologize for these pics taken on my macbook. my set up is a basic closet grow, seeds hit soil little over a week ago, 7 are surviving. mostly blueberry northern lights, 2 fem pineapple express (but lost track of them, not sure if they are both alive, i've lost 2 plants so far). i'm using 105 (actual) watt cfls. i just transplanted from jiffy pots and set up my whole lighting rig. since, i've noticed temperatures around 95 degrees. yikes. i opened the door put another fan in there and set up a squirrel cage fan to went ( although its not very powerful, dont really think its doing shit). the temps are around 85 now which i know isnt ideal but its better. i think its because a hot water pipe runs thru the top of the room. i've been noticing some yellowing and brown spotting on a few plants for about a week. heat burn? mold? i have no idea. this is my first time. the good news is that the new growth is nice a green. does that mean they'll be alright? also 1 plant is growing twisted leaves and is shorter than the rest, with no purple stalk. seems to be growing fine other than that. thoughts? advice?

Attached Files:

2. what are they growing in? tested the ph of it?

3. #3 prjctblupine, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    the soil i had in the jiffy pots was miracle gro organic choice potting mix http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2009/139/15/1242766467-32052_full.jpg.
    the soil i used in the larger pots is miracle gro organic choice garden soil http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/...iracle-Gro-Organic-Choice-Garden-Soil-std.jpg

ph meter is showing up at just under 7 but thats on the new soil so i can't really tell before that. i've been using tap water but the ph registers a little under 7 so i thought it should be ok. should i switch to distilled? use my brita pitcher?

4. Definately switch to distilled or filtered. Or at least let the water sit out 24 hours to evaporate the chlorine. The plants don't like it much. New growth tells you how you're doing. Its kind of like a timeline since they never repair themselves. So if the new growth is looking good you're doing the right thing.

5. my guess is miracle grow.ive seen a lot of people using MG and having the same kind of problems in early stages of the grow.MG is not good for seedlings. i suggest you reconsider the soil and if you are stuck on using MG,save it for later. when plant get a little bigger and start needing nutrients then you can use MG.