HELP CARBON FILTERS NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Burna410, Dec 2, 2013.

1. My brother and my mom came over to my dorm where my stealth micro grow was and they NOTICED that smell that all of us on this forum love. I'm used to the smell so I didn't notice it. I bought carbon filters before hand and put them on the exhaust. It's only 2 weeks into flowering and even though she's beautiful and healthy I'm thinking about just throwing her away.i sprayed almost a whole can of axe hoping that'll work. Do I need carbon filters on the intake and what are some quick homemade DIY remedies to sustain my problem. Please help!!!

2. Growing in your dorm? Ouch that one never ends good, probably best to rip unless you can ensure the Smell isn't travelling

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

you need to make sure that the CFM rating of your fan match that of the filter.

if the air gets sucked through too fast or slow it won't work.

and man.. if you're this paranoid about week 2, just wait till week 9.. it's serious lol.

4. Wow, I didn't know carbon filters had cfm ratings. The air does seem to be going through the filter pretty fast. Do you think I could use dryer sheets as a fill to aid the carbon filter?

5. I know. My roomie was cool with it as long as I gave him some. I thought since the grow was so small and well blended into my room that none would notice.

6. #6 AugustWest, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013

you could, but it's just gonna smell like you put weed in the dryer lol.

not sure if you've grown before, but seriously once they get past week 7 they stink like crazy (some strains more than others).. and then when you harvest and dry, even more so.

is there a hydro shop near you? If so i'd hit it up and they'll get you setup w/ a good fan/filter combo.

dude.. a dorm is mad sketchy place to grow... i don't know how you sleep at night lol.

7. I'm doing a stealth grow so a big loud fan and duct sticking out of my closet isn't going to look normal. The best i can do is tape carbon filters to my fan.

8. Should I just call it quits, chop her down and make some hash?

9. Only you can decide that, if the Smell is bad, like you can smell it outside your dorm bad, then id recommend immediate action before someone sniffs it out

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

10. How sealed is your box?  It needs to be near air tight with only one point for air to enter.   You need a fan capable of creating a good back pressure while pulling through your filter.  Otherwise that Odor be leaking out of your intake as well as any parts of the box that are not air tight.

A micro grow that is actually stealthy can be be the hardest to deal with.  Stepping up to something a bit bigger, such as nightstand or dresser, can make things much easier.  Then you can squeeze in a blower and a real carbon filter.  You can even squeeze in some netting to ScROG your plant for max yield and minimum height.

Those carbon filter air cleaning pads probably aren't the best for handling the odor.

11. If you are just using an axial fan on a micro grow then putting an ONA bucket outside your growbox is probably going to be your best option.

12. #13 6006, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
    Woah dorm room huh?  I would stop using sprays, especially during flowering.  If you are going to use dryer sheets, try to use non-scented ones.  one thing that you could do which might look silly is tape a bunch of them around the edges of your box, or you can do it inside your box.  You'll just lose reflectivity if you do it inside, unless you put them on the inside and then cover that up with mylar.  but then you'll have heat pockets.  if you have too much air flowing through your filter you could put some dryer sheets on the filter to slow it down.  you could also look into ozone things.  the devices that create ozone which neutralizes the smell.  you just have to be careful cause too much and its dangerous.

EDIT: so ive been looking my book to see what they say and the gel sounds the best option for you.  ozone generator in a dorm room doesn't sound like a good option, but if you do go that route, make sure you follow the directions and put it on a timer.  have it on when no one is in the dorm room and have it turn off before anyone gets back to the dorm. 

13. You want to watch spraying and using scented stuff to cover the smell if it's in the box. It can affect the taste and smell imo. I think 8iship has given the best advice. A dorm room is sketchy dude. I'm sketched out growing in my apartment lol i have everything carbon filtered up too. Ona gel outside of the fan is your best bet unless you can get a small inline fan and filter. A duct fan can't pull enough for a carbon filter.

14. Thanks for the help guys I researched and came across how to make an active carbon filter. So far it's no smell at all and this stuff is really cheap.