Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

HELP can resin be absorbed into the skin while cleaning a piece

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Alix, Mar 2, 2016.

1. I'm on probation and someone gave me a pipe today so I decided to clean it (rubbing alcohol and salt), but I did get my hands dirty in the process. I spent maybe 10-20 minutes in contact with this mixture of resin, rubbing alcohol, and salt. I have my final drug test to get off of probation next week and I need to know if I could have absorbed enough THC into my system for a government drug test to find anything. I washed my hands directly after and have no cuts on my hands for it to directly enter into my bloodstream. This happened over an hour ago (around 2:30 UTC-05:00) and I don't feel high (I would be able to feel it because I haven't smoked in over a month). This is really worrying me because if I fail this drug test, then I'll get removed from my program and enter adulthood with three felonies. PLEASE HELP.

2. Don't worry, resin can't be absorbed through the skin.:rave-girl:

3. Are you 100% sure. I'm just really worried about this. Thank you for the speedy answer, by the way. Also, would you suggest I get a HDT just to make sure?

4. I don't know if detectable amounts are passed transdermally, but i found this on line:
    Transdermal Marijuana
    Marijuana is lipophilic, which means that it can be dissolved into a fat-soluble substance and readily enter cell membranes. In other words, it can be effective when applied topically on the skin. Marijuana can be used transdermally to relieve pain from many conditions. Medical marijuana can be a balm, lotion, ointment or rubbing alcohol solution. In the old days when people only had plants to use for medication, many patients would soak marijuana leaves in alcohol and apply them as a poultice to an arthritic or swollen joint.

Many substances pass easily through the skin and that is why transdermal medicine has been more evident in contemporary medicine. When it comes to marijuana’s anti-inflammatory effect people have long experienced this in action when they have applied marijuana to their skin. Patients with arthritis, muscle and joint pain can testify to the easing of the aches and pains that they feel on a regular basis. Topical marijuana preparations usually provide only local relief and do not have effect on the brain, meaning there is usually no high. This is helpful for those times when marijuana use is inappropriate (like when you have to drive your car) and you still need pain relief! Topical preparations can be purchased or made at home.

Transdermal medicine is ideal for pain management as well as sports and pediatric medicine. In fact it is one of the best ways to administer medicines quickly and effectively. Transdermal methods of delivery are widely used because they allow the absorption of medicine directly through the skin. Gels, emulsion creams, sprays and lip balm stick applicators are easy to use and are effective in getting medicine into the bloodstream quickly.

Traditional methods of administering medicine such as tablets or capsules get watered down and become much less effective due to stomach acids and digestive enzymes before they eventually get into the bloodstream. Bypassing the stomach and liver means a much greater percentage of the active ingredient goes straight into the bloodstream where it’s needed. In many cases, transdermal methods are used to help avoid potential side effects such as stomach upset or drowsiness. The full potential for transdermal medicine has not been explored by modern medicine though it has been practiced for thousands of years in hot springs around the world.

So just to be safe I'd get a home test.

5. I'd say your perfectly fine dude. But if you want to be 1,000% sure then get a home DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. If you pop positive after being completely clean because you got some resin on your hands, I will literally shove a whole ounce up my ass and then smoke it.

So here's hoping!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Now that is a can-do attitude!

• Like Like x 4
  8. I popped a positive so have fun. But my results are being sent to a lab to see if it's a false positive/test the levels in my system so either way, I'll be fine because the levels can't prove I have been smoking it.

9. No way you test positive after just handling resin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry gentleman, you are both wrong.

You are both RIGHT in that if you had a wad of resin and were rolling it around on a table or something like that, you wouldn't absorb anything. But why you're wrong in this case, is that alcohol is involved. Alcohol dissolves the resin and makes kind of a brown slurry. This happens because alcohol dissolves THC. That leftover brown slurry is alcohol and THC (and whatever else you had in the cleaning solution, but let's keep this simple).

This brown slurry is essentially a poor man's tincture. I wouldn't use it like that, it would be nasty and possibly bad for your health depending on what else is in it. But an alcohol tincture is just THC dissolved in alcohol. Your little brown cleaning slurry is also just THC dissolved in alcohol. And an alcohol tincture is most definitely absorbed through the skin. Alcohol has been used for centuries as a transdermal carrier. Muscle rubs used to be alcohol based, for instance

Now, depending where on your body it's absorbed, you may or may not feel a high, but THC will be absorbed through the skin. I make my own alcohol tincture, and if I take it orally I get high, but if I use it on my skin (I use it for shoulder/neck pain) the pain goes down but there is no high feeling.

I recommend always wearing gloves when working with cannabis and a solvent of some kind.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ok well I don't buy that you handle resin then pee and comes up positive. I wasn't talking about alcohol though, just resin.

12. I'm with ya on that. The OP had a mix of resin, alcohol and salt. If he was just handling resin there would've been no pee problems.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pain Rubs and tinctures are all made with everclear 190 alcohol
    and they are absorbed through the skin no problem
    So I say yes, you failed due to the resin.
    I have gotten high while making cremes and tints because I did not wear gloves and got it all over my skin.
    It does absorb into the skin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Now for a follow-up question. My results are being sent to a lab to test the levels. Do you think there'd be enough to constitute me using, or do you think the levels would be that of second-hand?

15. No idea.

16. Update!
    Either the test on Monday was a false positive or it got out of my system relatively fast because I PASSED MY TEST TODAY AND AM NOW OFF PROBATION!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Smoke from that pipe you cleaned!

• Like Like x 1
  18. buy a home pregnancy test while you're at it. I hear the error proof one is pretty close to 100% clarity on outcome predictability, but idk tho

oh and no resin won't stain your skin

19. Considering they rub wax on skin to cure skin cancer and the fact that it was also mixed with alcohol (thc is alcohol soluble) i would say its entirely possible that a few mg of thc might have sweeped through

-Sent from Zeta Reticuli starsystem-

20. Congratulations man!! Happy toking :jump: