Help building muscle.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by ticklemefancy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Ive been wanting to gain muscle for a long time, but never really felt the motivation to do so until now. Im skinny as shit with a fast metabolism, and was wondering the best way to gain some arm and leg muscle. any input would be appreciated.

2. #2 Henry Krinkle, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    You need to make sure you are eating enough protein, and just eating enough food in general. If your a skinny guy with a fast metabolism like me you have to force yourself to eat more food or you wont benefit from the exercise. Lift the heaviest amount that you can get 4-8 reps with. You can lift weights all day, but if you aren't pushing yourself you wont see mass gain, just more muscle tone.

Bench Press and Squats are going to give you the most results as they target a ton of different muscles.

3. Thanks for the response. i do tend to eat alot but dont necessarily eat healthy foods. but, im changing that. would you recommend protein shakes as a way to get protein?

4. Diet is a good starting point, like ^ said, proteins are the building blocks for hard muscle. So eat a lot of white meats, don't shy away from carbs, since you will be lifting you will need the energy. Since you are thin anyways only do cardio twice a week, sometimes more or less depending on how you feel.

I suggest keep it natural first, just establish a healthy diet and exercise routine, muscle fitness magazine always has great meal plans and exercises, so does mens health. Good luck, it's tough but so rewarding :bongin:

5. It doesn't matter if you eat a lot. If it's all shit, good luck.

You want mass? Muscle?

A good starting point is this: StrongLifts.com: Gain Strength And Muscle While Losing Fat

I gained 40lbs with this program; granted, my diet could've been better, so some of this was fat, but for the most part I gained a shit ton of muscle.

Big compound lifts. Try this for around 3 months and see how you progress. It's only 3x a week for about an hour a session. Only 5 lifts too. Looking back at it, I might swap the rows that he prescribes for pull-ups. It'd be your preference but I think the pull-up is a more beneficial exercise.

Best of all, it's free. Free spreadsheet for tracking, etc. Think they have an iPhone app too, and possibly one for Android.

I've moved on from the 5x5 since it only works for so long, but since you're a beginner, this will work for you. As long as you don't miss workouts and really focus on performing the exercises correctly, and maintain a rigid diet high in dietary fats and protein, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I would recommend eating a lot of vegetables, and complex carbs... since you're a skinny dude you don't have to be as worried about eating carbs. I would avoid breads and starches and eat plenty of fruit.

Word of warning. These lifts aren't simple arm curls. They tax the whole body and the whole nervous system. If you go through with it, good luck.

6. Chlorella:

https://www.sunchlorella.co.uk/sports/
    Chlorella, called "queen of the nutraceuticals"- Bio+ Chlorella®,from Bio+ Sources, is a superior quality green algae health supplement, made of 100 % pure chlorella pyrenoidosa, all natural, with nothing added, at an economical price!
    Chlorella: The Forgotten Nutrient!

They say similar stuff but two of the sites are selling Chlorella so I thought I'd add a couple links to verify the validity of the claims.

Basic premise of he links- chlorella has a bunch of good stuff in it including chlorella growth factor which will aid in tissue regeneration.

7. Eggs, oatmeal, WHOLE MILK, chicken breasts, peanut butter, black beans, wheat bread, bananas, whey protein.

8. thanks for the responses guys. I guess ill start this today

9. I take it you wouldn't be on here if you knew how to build muscle, so...find a personal trainer for best results

10. The real catalyst in gaining muscle is pushing yourself in the gym everyday. Work in negative reps, drop sets, quarter reps, static exercises.

11. EAT alot of food implement protein BCAA's and glutamine into your diet with a high a calorie diet you will be able to gain lean muscle easily!