HELP! Building first DWC (and scrog) system, and have a few (simple?) questions...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by undertowpull, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Howdy,

So, after hours and hours on many sites and MANY forums, I've decided to summarize the questions I cannot get answered definitively -- and pick the collective brains of this group. I've literally spent hours and hours compiling research, but I think my needs are unique enough that I have to beg for help!

I am planning on building a pretty simple, small DWC/hydroponic SCROG setup. I am a homeowner, so size is not so much an issue (I don't need this inside a PC case or in a closet), but stealth is still an issue (family visits, etc.). Where I run into problems, is, I'm not starting an "operation" -- this'll be for personal use ONLY (me and the wife).

I came home today with a wide assortment of Sterilite opaque tubs, some baskets from the hydro store, clay balls, bubbling system/airrock, etc. All that's left for me to BUY is nutes, lights, and seeds.

So... to my questions:

1) I'm entertaining the idea of using an old refrigerator, a cheap pressboard armoire, or a Rubbermaid garage "cabinet" (36"w x 18" d x 38" h). Given that I have the space, would you recommend vegging 4-5 plants then flowering those same plants in the same space (change out the lights, perhaps)? I'm not looking for large quantity production, but would I benefit from a secondary "flowering" location? (Again, I'd like to go ScroG -- I don't plan to grow 6 footers!)

2) Here's your chance to get creative -- figuring money isn't an issue (within reason), and I'm a talented DIYer for both building and electrical, how would YOU rig this up? I'm especially interested in lighting scenarios, if I'm using the same "cabinet" for vegging and flowering -- I can come up with a way to swap lights effectively -- can I go (blue) CFL for veg and (red) CFL for flowering? Is the additional cost/heat/ventilation of an HPS light worth it for somebody like me, who isn't concerned with rapid, scheduled production?

3) I have to start from seeds (no access to clones), and haven't read-up on the cloning process once I get that far -- does this impact my requirements for the "cabinet" as well? Once I've decided on a mother, can she be in with the babies that are vegging, or the adolescents that are flowering? Am I underlining my noob status with this question?

The only other piece of information I can provide is that this setup WILL have daily maintenance, so I can keep adjusting the height of CFLs as necessary... keep in mind this'll be my first grow ever, so I favor simplicity and room-for-error over maximized potential.

Feedback? Thanks in advance!

2. I would have to say stealth armoire is rly great if your a good DIY making it light and sound proff shouldnt be a problem. I dont think you need to go with 6 plants just a nice 2 plant grow in a 400 watt DWC SCROG setup will give you great yield enough for U and your wife maybe enough to get you by till your next harvest just using seeds. If your yields are good & fat (Co2 & great lighting) and its just for 2 peolpe you could shut down your grow box till your low then start it up again. Its a toss up when it comes to taking the time for a clone setup but it will for sure cut your downtime in half.

Here are some great links that help me on my blue prints and ideas.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/258270-armoire-gro-cheap-dwc-pics.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...ed-stealth-grow-box-design-built-sativas.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

Great links take there good learn from there bads and custom there setups and ideas to your needs. Hopefully this post will get hot i could go for more clone setup ideas myself.