help - brown/yellow spots

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by dobiwon, Sep 21, 2013.

1. What type of medium; soil or hydro? -Soil

What brand and type of soil? Generic Walmart Garden soil

Indoors or outdoors? Indoor

What strain? Red Kush (alledgedly)

How old are the plants? 34 days since soil break

What type of lights and how many watts? 6 - 23w cfl 1700k

How far from the lights? 2"-3"

Here's where things get sketchy, I'm a first time grower and didn't read into all the science of it..

What is your watering frequency and source of water? 2 tsp/gallon foxfire big grow

What, how much and when was it fed? when sticking my index finger in and it felt dry

NPK? prior to this, no clue. I did some research and though it was nutrient burn so I flushed it real good with distilled water... I went and bought a hottub test strip and checked some of the run-off from my first flush and PH was 5.8'ish the test strip only goes down to 6.2 but it was a few shades lighter. After my flush it's up to about 6.8 now.

What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? n/a

What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75 - 45%

What size pots? 34oz FOlgers coffee grounds bucket. many holes drilled in the bottom

Any bugs? Look real close. negatory

Any other pertinent info? Here's a handy pic.

View attachment 126138

2. Looks like it could be a calcium deficiency to me. Is that only happening on new growth? Older leaves generally don't get cal deficiencies since they tend to store a lot of calcium over time. Add some cal-mag.  Calcium gets locked out below 6.4 pH and you said prior to flushing you had 5.8 so it's most likely calcium deficiency. Unless your soil is really crappy, now that your pH is normalized, you shouldn't see that damage continue but you can still add cal-mag with your next watering just in case. Don't worry about toxicity, properly fed, it's pretty hard to get a cal or mag toxicity.

3. thanks all, I was really freaking out.. amazing how attached I've become. lol

after some searching around, I found this on icmag:
    https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688&page=1&pp=15

pictures seem to corrolate with a phosphorous deficiency. after flushing real well, I have been letting her dry out and new growth is coming on strong still and the spots have not spread since I flushed it, where as prior to flushing I could watch them spread almost before my eyes...

any suggestions on whether or not I should cut off the half dead leaves or let them continue. from what I gather they will not repair but the green that is left on the leaves will continue to absorb light, correct?

4. Man, I sent you the ph chart so you could see that your issue was mostly Mg and Ca. You were feeding to much ferts and locked out the two, but P was slipping also, along with N and K.

5. gotcha, thanks @[member="mmman"]

6. Your welcome man, have a great day.